Preparing for College Calculus: Self-Study Materials & Book Reviews

In summary: You should be comfortable with these topics before you take calculus. Most precalculus classes cover these topics in more depth than what you would find in a standard high school algebra and trigonometry course. Some books that will help with this: - Algebra and Trigonometry: A Comprehensive Introduction by David E. Smith- Precalculus: A Comprehensive Approach, 9th edition by Thomas W. Freeman- College Algebra: A Modern Approach, 10th edition by James Stewart
polymetric
I took a year off after high school and I have decided to go to college this fall.

So... I need some self study material for everything before calculus. I have found a few pdf's online and this site has been a great help as well. I found some recommendations for books in the archives here, one book in particular https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321159357/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Does the edition of a book matter for my purposes? There are also 3rd and 4th editions but cost 6 or 7 times as much as the 2nd... Can you recommend any other books or materials for reviewing pre calculus math? Is there anything else I should try to learn before calculus like writing proofs?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know trig and know how to manipulate functions inside and out you'll do fine.

I suggest taking a precalculus class first, esp after taking a year off.

I'm in sort of the same boat. Though I took 7 years off, rather than one. I tested into Calc I as well, and am taking it this summer. For my prep, I got ahold of the University's precalc book and sylabus, and am sort of just putting myself through it, focusing on the stuff I don't remember as well, along with strong focuses on the Trig part of it. It's working well so far, though, I won't really know for sure until this summer. I figure though, that the uni has the precalc class in order to prep you for their calc I class, and going through the sylabbus the way they have it set up will give me the best prep. I plan on also getting ahold of the sylabbus for the calc I class to see what sorts of things they will be doing in the first couple weeks, so that I can focus on the prerequisite knowledge for those subjects.
Hope this helps

If you are self-studying the edition of the book does not matter (the content will not change much from edition to edition, just the exercises). You probably won't need to worry about proof writing techniques for calculus.

You should have a clear understanding of algebra and trigonometry (and some geometry) before you take calculus. People who do poorly in calculus are usually the ones who don't have the good mastery of those subjects (based on my experience with tutoring calculus students). The textbook you have seems like a good one. Proof-writing one is optional unless if you're going to take honors calculus.

Algebra & Pre-Calculus.

Understand polynomials and transcendental functions (power and trig) through equations, tables, graphs, and words. Also, get a feel for what a limit is - something most pre-calc classes cover towards the end as a pre-cursor for calculus I.

1. What are the best self-study materials for preparing for college calculus?

The best self-study materials for preparing for college calculus will vary depending on the individual's learning style and preferences. However, some commonly recommended materials include textbooks such as "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, online resources like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare, and review books like "Cracking the AP Calculus AB/BC Exam" by The Princeton Review.

2. How much time should I spend studying for college calculus?

The amount of time needed to study for college calculus will also vary for each individual. However, it is generally recommended to spend at least 10-15 hours per week on studying and practicing calculus concepts. It is important to also set aside time for regular review and to avoid cramming before exams.

3. Can I teach myself college calculus without taking a formal course?

While it is possible to teach yourself college calculus without taking a formal course, it is generally not recommended. Self-study materials can be helpful, but without the guidance of a teacher or professor, it can be difficult to fully grasp complex calculus concepts. It is also important to have access to resources for asking questions and receiving feedback on your work.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that are helpful for preparing for college calculus?

Some helpful study techniques for preparing for college calculus include actively engaging with the material by practicing problems, creating study guides or flashcards, and seeking out additional resources for support. It can also be beneficial to form study groups or work with a tutor to discuss and review concepts.

5. What are some recommended book reviews for preparing for college calculus?

Some recommended book reviews for preparing for college calculus include "The Calculus Lifesaver" by Adrian Banner, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, and "Calculus Essentials for Dummies" by Mark Ryan. It is also helpful to read reviews from other students or educators to determine which book may be the best fit for your needs and learning style.