1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Out of Real Analysis

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    Hello. The university I attend allows you to challenge some courses for grad school. Two of them are Real Analysis I and Real Analysis II. This made me consider trying it. The cost of the challenge test is the same as the cost if you took the course so it really has to count. I wanted to get some opinions about whether you think it is possible. I'm looking to challenge the course during the summer. Here's the description of the course so you can get an idea of what it contains. Thanks in advance.

Course Description:
    Rigorous discussion of the topics introduced in calculus. Sequences, series, limits, continuity, differentiation

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Isn't your question equivalent to "Tell me how much Real Analysis I know, and compare it to how much I need to know to test out of it?" I don't think we have the information to answer either half of this.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    I don't know. I would say that, with the stakes being so high (the cost of an entire course and a failing mark on your transcript if you don't pass that test), if you have to ask that question, you shouldn't try to. And between now and Summer, you've got an entire semester in which to take that class, no?

If you're dead set though, maybe start by asking the professor what the content is, how feasible it would be for someone with your preparation to test out of it, if it would be possible to prepare on your own, and even if testing out is a good idea. Even if we did know your exact level of preparation, we can't necessarily know for sure exactly what that particular professor will choose to cover. And even if you do manage to test out, I'd be worried that skipping over such a fundamental course might be missing out on an important classroom experience.

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    That sounds a bit crazy to charge you the same amount for a test as for an entire course! Are you sure you're at a decent university? I know a lot of schools accept CLEP exams, which are a couple hundred bucks and can replace an entire course. Granted, they're for introductory material.

Anyways, it's doable. It'd be better if you could find a mentor who could guide you through the material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook