Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing, please ignore

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    One fine day I was going about my business when I heard that the Maths Tower at Manchester University was to be demolished. I was shocked. To me it was an inspirational icon of learning, the thing that put the campus on the skyline, on the map, and on the picture postcards. I used to sit on the seventeenth floor in a class, learning about gates and induction from the likes of Tom Kilburn, godfather of Computer Science. I listened intently with the cityscape before me and Jodrell Bank behind. I learned a lot in that Maths Tower. It shaped my life, it was my beacon. And now it’s gone.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where is(/was) that tower? Is it just off oxford road? I presume it was knocked down due to the amalgamation of UMIST and the University of Manchester.

(Sorry, I didn't ignore the thread!)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  4. Jul 23, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

You've gotta know that the surest way to get a scientist to investigate something is to tell him/her to ignore it. :tongue:

This could end up being longer than the Thread Killer thread.:rolleyes:

5. Jul 23, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: I was just curious!! :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?