1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing, please ignore

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    One fine day I was going about my business when I heard that the Maths Tower at Manchester University was to be demolished. I was shocked. To me it was an inspirational icon of learning, the thing that put the campus on the skyline, on the map, and on the picture postcards. I used to sit on the seventeenth floor in a class, learning about gates and induction from the likes of Tom Kilburn, godfather of Computer Science. I listened intently with the cityscape before me and Jodrell Bank behind. I learned a lot in that Maths Tower. It shaped my life, it was my beacon. And now it’s gone.

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where is(/was) that tower? Is it just off oxford road? I presume it was knocked down due to the amalgamation of UMIST and the University of Manchester.

(Sorry, I didn't ignore the thread!)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  4. Jul 23, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

You've gotta know that the surest way to get a scientist to investigate something is to tell him/her to ignore it. :tongue:

This could end up being longer than the Thread Killer thread.:rolleyes:

5. Jul 23, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: I was just curious!! :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?