Mechanical Testing Options for Sandwich Panels

• Thread starter jonnyjhh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the conversation discusses the testing of different variations of a sandwich panel with a honeycomb core and flax tape skins. The goal of the tests is to investigate material property changes with different core thicknesses and orientations of the flax tape. The main variations will include a change in core thickness and different types of resin. The individual asks for advice on which mechanical properties to focus on and which tests to perform, considering the thickness and orthotropic nature of the material. The conversation also mentions considering various failure modes and choosing appropriate tests based on the intended use of the panels.
jonnyjhh
TL;DR Summary
I am looking to mechanically test different variations of the same sandwich panel. The sandwich panel will consist of a honeycomb core made from recycled PP, with skins made from Flax tape combined with resin. I need help in deciding what tests I should perform. Thank you!
Hello,

I am looking to mechanically test different variations of the same sandwich panel. The sandwich panel will consist of a honeycomb core made from recycled PP, with skins made from Flax tape combined with resin.

The end goal of these tests is to investigate how the material property changes with different core thicknesses, and orientations of the layered flax tape.

I will be inputting the findings of these results into Simens NX to perform static tests on a designed structure.The main variations will revolve around a change of core thickness (10mm vs 15mm) and several orientations of the flax tape. The specimens will also use two different types of resin.

My question is what mechanical properties should I be most interested in, and which tests should I perform to acquire the desired values?

My initial idea was to perform tensile testing, combined with a three-point bend test. I believe this will give me certain values like UTS, and youngs. However, I've started having doubts as the thickness of material (up to 20-23mm) will be to thick for most tensile testing machines.

Would compressive testing be a much better option, and if so, how should I perform it for the honeycomb composite?

It seems like things get very complicated when it comes to honeycombs due to their orthotropic nature.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Be aware of the various failure modes - face bucking, face tensile failure, core bucking, core adhesion, etc. And which of those modes apply to the intended use of the panels. Before you choose a test or tests, you need to know what you are looking for. Some examples:

If edge compression is important, then an edge crush test such as that used for corrugated cardboard boxes.
If an exterior wall panel subject to wind loading, then three point bending with a long sample.
If a floor, then point loading (local crushing), and three point bending with both long and short (to measure shear strength) samples.
If for a pallet, crush load while laying flat.

After you decide on a test or tests, you need to find designs for test fixtures and sample preparation.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

1. What is the purpose of testing sandwich panels?

The purpose of testing sandwich panels is to evaluate their structural integrity and performance under various conditions. This includes testing for strength, durability, fire resistance, thermal and acoustic insulation, and other properties.

2. How are sandwich panels tested?

Sandwich panels are typically tested in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment and procedures. This may include mechanical testing, thermal testing, and fire testing. The panels may also be tested in real-world conditions to assess their performance in practical applications.

3. What factors are considered when testing sandwich panels?

When testing sandwich panels, factors such as the type of core material, the type of facing material, the bonding method, and the panel design are all taken into account. Other factors that may affect the performance of the panels, such as temperature, humidity, and load conditions, may also be considered.

4. What are the potential risks of using sandwich panels?

The potential risks of using sandwich panels include structural failure, fire hazards, and health hazards. It is important to properly test and evaluate sandwich panels to ensure they meet safety standards and regulations before using them in construction or other applications.

5. How can testing results be used to improve sandwich panel design?

The results of testing can be used to identify any weaknesses or areas for improvement in the design of sandwich panels. This information can then be used to make modifications to the materials, bonding methods, or panel design to enhance the overall performance and safety of the panels.