Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Testing self-awareness

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

How do you know that other people are self-aware and not just very sophisticated computers? In other words, lets say you had a box with something inside that gave answers to your questions, how could you ever tell if the thing in the box was self-aware? If it's impossible then what's the point of talking about making computers that are self-aware if it's you can never prove that they are or are not?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2
    "How do you know that other people are self-aware and not just very sophisticated computers?"
    Until the day I meet a life-like android (or read that someone invented a life-like android), I will assume that all beings who appear to be self-aware, ARE actually self-aware human beings.

"lets say you had a box with something inside that gave answers to your questions, how could you ever tell if the thing in the box was self-aware?"
    This sounds like a good definition of a Forum.
    I type-out a question.
    I send it to the Physics Forum.
    Later, my computer screen comes back with an answer.
    Certainly the answer could be self-generated by a computer program.
    If the answer was clear and on-point, I wouldn't care if it came from a human (or not).

"If it's impossible [to tell the difference] then what's the point of talking about making computers that are self-aware if you can never prove that they are or are not?"
    If I had a computer that was self-aware, it would be a simple matter to prove that it existed:
    Input a question, and it outputs an answer.
    Prove to a bystander that there is no external connection to a modem.
    This will convince most people that the computer, itself, has output the answer.
    If some scientist was still skeptical, I might show him the schematic of my design, and explain how my computer works. Then he would methodically go through the computer, attempting to hunt-down the secret modem. At some point, he would be convinced. Soon thereafter, I will win the Nobel Prize, and this will help convince the rest of the world that I have (indeed) created a self-aware computer.

It is impossible for a human to live in a Vacuum.
    There is a Vacuum between the earth and moon.
    Therefore, what's the point of a Space program.

There is impossible ... and then there is IMPOSSIBLE.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  4. Apr 29, 2007 #3
    put it infront of a mirror for a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?