Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing symmetry properties of nonlinear governing equations

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm a bit uncertain about the validity of my argument/approach to the following:

I'm trying to prove that the solution to a partial differential equation

[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(x,t)] = 0[/itex], where N is some nonlinear operator, CAN BE (not necessarily is) asymmetric about x=0. I do not know [itex] u(x,t) [/itex].

To that end, I've been examining the behavior of the system under the transformation [itex] x\to -x [/itex] (i.e. a reflection or inversion transformation) and can show that

[itex] \frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(x,t)] \neq\frac{\partial u(-x,t)}{\partial t} + N[u(-x,t)], [/itex]

so that we do not expect u(x,t) = u(-x,t).

I am wondering if this is the best way to test this reflection symmetry. Also, if I can find the terms in the operator N that violate this symmetry, is it coherent to call these 'symmetry breaking' terms?

Any references to relevant resources would be appreciated,

Thanks!

Nick

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted