1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tests of vectors/scalars

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    groups: Vectors / Scalars / dosen't make sense
    Which of these groups do the following belong too

1: a.b + b.c
    2: a+(a.b)
    3: (b.b)b+a
    4: (a.b)(b.c)
    5: (a.b).c

a.b + b.c is adding the dot product of two vectors, then adding them so a Scalar for the final

a+(a.b) is adding a vector to a product of two vectors so dosen't make sense e.g (1,1,1)+5

(b.b)b+a also dosen't make sense, since it is the dot product of a vector added with two added vectors e.g (b*b=5)*(2,1,0)+(1,1,1)

(a.b)(b.c) makes sense, and is a scalar, because the two dot products produce scalars which are then multiplied by each other

(a.b).c is a vector because you get a scalar from a.b then multiply each component of C to create a new vector

-

hoping someone could check for me XD thanks

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    really not sure about

(b.b)*(a+b)

i know a*(b+c) works
    but (b.b)is a scalar not a vector so cant be the same as
    (b.b)*b + (b.b)*c

could someone please clarify

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3
    3: (b.b)(b+a)
    is the same as
    5: (a.b).c

scalar multiplied by a vector = vector

5. Jul 30, 2009 #4
    lol what a stupid thread, wish I hadn't made it

- suppose i could've done the same thing on paper

6. Jul 30, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you concluded for 3 and 5.
    In your first post you have
    3) (b.b)b + a
    and then later you have (b.b)(b + a)
    b.b is a scalar
    (b.b)b is a scalar times a vector (= a vector)
    (b.b)b + a is a vector + a vector, which is a vector.

(b.b)(b + a) is also a vector, but a different one from (b.b)b + a.

5) (a.b).c is not a vector. This is a scalar dotted with a vector, which is not defined. The dot product is defined only for two vectors.

7. Jul 30, 2009 #6
    5) (a.b).c is not a vector. This is a scalar dotted with a vector, which is not defined. The dot product is defined only for two vectors.[/QUOTE]

But when you get the Scalar a.b, then multiply the vector c by the scalar don't you get a vector???

e.g

a=(2,2,2) b = (3,3,3) c = (4,4,4)

(a.b).c
    a.b = 6 + 6 + 6 = 18

then 18 * c
    18(4,4,4)
    =(18*4,18*4,18*4)
    =(72,72,72)
    isn't that the result when you multiply a scalar be a vector?

8. Jul 31, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

But when you get the Scalar a.b, then multiply the vector c by the scalar don't you get a vector???
    [/quote]
    You are confusing scalar multiplication with the dot product. I am assuming that the periods you used in (a.b).c mean "dot product." In that case you have a scalar dotted with a vector, which is undefined.

If, on the other hand, you had written (a.b)c (without the second period), then the multiplication would be scalar multiplication, which is defined for a scalar and a vector.
    No, it would be 18 . c, not 18 * c. This is where you are confusing the dot product with scalar multiplication.

Dot product
    Inputs: two vectors
    Output: a scalar

Scalar multiplication
    Inputs: a scalar and a vector
    Output: a vector

Hope that's clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook