Solve Tetherball Problem: Find Rope Tension & Pole Force

• Thread starter jnolan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem due in an hour. The problem involves a tether ball with specific measurements and the task is to find the tension in the rope and the force exerted by the pole on the ball. The student has tried multiple times and needs assistance finding the angle and horizontal forces involved.
jnolan
Hi. I know it is rude to have your first post be a question, but I am out of time for this (it is due in an hour), so if someone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

A tether ball leans against the post to which it is attached (Fig. 5-40). If the string to which the ball is attached is 2.00 m long, the ball has a radius of 0.300 m, and the ball has a mass of 0.400 kg, what are the tension in the rope and the force the pole exerts on the ball? Neglect any friction between the ball and the pole. (The string is attached to the ball such that a line along the string passes through the center of the ball.)

Find the Tention in the Rope

Find the Force of pole on ball

UPDATE: I just got the first one. I was accidentally thinking that there were 2 ropes pulling it.
I have tried 4 times (its an online submition thing) and only have one more shot. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What I have tried so far:
To solve for the angle between the poll and ball:
Theta=ArcSin(.3/2.3)=7.43 degress

the rope is the only thing capable of applying a vertical force, so it must take care of gravity entirely. Then you need to figure out what the horizontal forces look like (given the angle, and the vertical force, it's basic triangle trigonometry)

1. How do you calculate the tension of the rope in a tetherball game?

In order to calculate the tension of the rope in a tetherball game, you will need to know the mass of the ball, the length of the rope, and the speed of the ball. Using the formula T = (m x v^2)/l, where T is tension, m is mass, v is velocity, and l is length, you can solve for the tension in the rope.

2. What factors affect the rope tension in a tetherball game?

The tension of the rope in a tetherball game is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the ball, the length of the rope, and the force applied by the pole. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

3. How does the force applied by the pole affect the rope tension in a tetherball game?

The force applied by the pole has a direct impact on the tension of the rope in a tetherball game. The greater the force applied, the higher the tension in the rope will be. This is because the force applied by the pole must balance out the force of the ball pulling on the rope.

4. How can you determine the force applied by the pole in a tetherball game?

To determine the force applied by the pole in a tetherball game, you will need to know the mass and velocity of the ball, as well as the length and tension of the rope. Using the formula F = (m x v^2)/l - T, where F is force, m is mass, v is velocity, l is length, and T is tension, you can solve for the force applied by the pole.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to calculating rope tension and pole force in a tetherball game?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when calculating rope tension and pole force in a tetherball game. It is important to ensure that the tension and force are within safe limits to prevent the rope from breaking or the pole from tipping over. It is also important to follow proper safety guidelines and use appropriate equipment when playing tetherball.