1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tethered float radiometer

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a submerged float which is held in equilibrium by three hanging chains (see attached), a portion of the chain hangs below the float. Ultrasound directed onto the top face of the float (which is concave with angle α) and the float is displaced downward proportional to the ultrasound power. Find the power as a function of displacement.

2. Relevant equations
    Power [itex]W=\frac{Fc}{2\cos^2\alpha}[/itex]

Where F is the force and c is the speed of sound in water
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to relate the distance of the float displacement to the Force.
    As it is displaced the weight of the chain decreases. Linear density is mass over length, I know the length of the chains and their masses, all the same.
    How do I work out the loss of weight?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The whole set up, and the quoted relevant equation, appear to relate to some relatively obscure branch of physics. Most people on this forum would, like me, have no idea about the application of that equation.

But maybe that's not what you are asking. Are you just asking how to relate the change in depth of the float to the change of force on it from the weight of the chains?
    If so, I suggest you approximate each chain as two vertical sections joined by a U-shaped portion of constant size. Otherwise, you can look up 'catenary'.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3
    Hi, yes I'm asking how to relate the change in depth of the float to the change of force on it from the weight of the chains.

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you understand my suggestion?

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5
    Looking into it now thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted