TetraKO: Cornstarch-Based Fire Suppressant for Firefighters

• Misc.
  • Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, TetraKO is a cornstarch-based fire suppressant that is used by firefighters and has been featured on a recent NOVA episode. It has the ability to stick to burning ceilings, making it more effective than normal water. However, creating the mixture can be tricky and there may be additional ingredients besides cornstarch and water. One suggestion is to search for an MSDS or patent for more information.
mishima
TetraKO is a cornstarch based fire suppressant used by firefighters. It can do things like stick to burning ceilings making it superior to normal water. It was featured on a recent NOVA episode "making things safer" I think.

I've been playing with cornstarch and water for the last few hours and can't quite get the right consistency. Anyone ever made this stuff? I am sure there is more to it than just cornstarch and water, but don't know what that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked to see if there is an MSDS for the mixture? Maybe that would help in fabricating it.

Yes, I called a number and they emailed it to me in no time. However, the juicy details were hidden under the "proprietary" label, other than the carcinogenic substances. I guess it is just a trade secret, would have been fun to demonstrate.

You could try searching for their patent if they have patented their product.

I find the use of cornstarch as a fire suppressant to be a fascinating and innovative approach. Traditional methods of firefighting involve using water or foam, which can be limited in their effectiveness depending on the type of fire and surface involved. The ability of TetraKO to stick to burning ceilings is a significant advantage and could potentially save lives and property.

In terms of the composition of TetraKO, it is likely that additional ingredients are used to enhance its fire suppression capabilities. These could include additives that improve its adherence to surfaces or increase its cooling abilities. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the composition and effectiveness of TetraKO.

I am also intrigued by the mention of its appearance on a NOVA episode and the potential for further advancements in making firefighting safer. As a scientist, it is important to continue exploring and developing new technologies and methods to improve public safety. I look forward to learning more about TetraKO and its potential impact on the firefighting industry.

1. What is TetraKO and how does it work?

TetraKO is a cornstarch-based fire suppressant that is used by firefighters to quickly and effectively extinguish fires. The formula is made up of finely ground cornstarch particles that are mixed with water to create a gel-like substance. When this gel is sprayed onto a fire, it creates a layer of insulation that suffocates the flames and cools down the surrounding area, extinguishing the fire.

2. Is TetraKO safe for both firefighters and the environment?

Yes, TetraKO is completely safe for firefighters to use and is also environmentally friendly. The formula is non-toxic and does not contain any harmful chemicals. It is biodegradable and will not harm plants, animals, or water sources.

3. How does TetraKO compare to other fire suppressants?

TetraKO has been proven to be more effective than traditional water-based suppressants and other foam-based suppressants. It is also more cost-effective as it requires less water to extinguish a fire and leaves behind less residue, making cleanup easier and faster.

4. Can TetraKO be used on all types of fires?

TetraKO is effective on most types of fires, including class A, B, and D fires. However, it is not recommended for use on electrical fires as the water content may cause further damage.

5. How is TetraKO stored and transported?

TetraKO is stored and transported as a dry powder, making it easy to store in fire trucks and other emergency vehicles. It can be mixed with water on-site when needed, reducing the weight and bulk of traditional fire suppressants and making it more convenient for firefighters to use in emergency situations.