Tetraquarks Discovered: Exploring Existence, Discovery & Implications

• I
  • Thread starter Kevin McHugh
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a recent discovery of exotic particles called X, Y, and Z, with the Y(4140) recently being renamed to X(4140) by the Particle Data Group. These particles were discovered through various experiments, including those at the LHC and DZero, and have implications for understanding the structure of matter. The naming scheme for these particles may vary, with some sources using Z for charged states, X for even charge states, and Y for odd charge states.
Kevin McHugh
I just heard of these, can somebody explain what they are, how they were discovered, and the implications of their existence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or better this from LHCb for a proper analysis (different state).

Thanks ZZ, I had not seen that. The DZero link was very informative.

I understand that these exotic particles are termed X Y and Z, and that the Y(4140) was recently renamed X(4140) by the Particle Data Group . Can someone explain the difference between X Y and Z please?

This paper with figure 2 would suggest Z for charged states, X for C even and Y for C odd states, but I don't know if that naming scheme is used universally, especially as these slides include a neutral Z (slide 11).

1. What are tetraquarks?

Tetraquarks are a type of exotic particle made up of four quarks, which are elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons.

2. How were tetraquarks discovered?

Tetraquarks were first theorized in the 1960s, but it wasn't until 2014 that the first evidence of their existence was found by researchers at CERN's Large Hadron Collider. They were able to detect particles that could only be explained by the existence of tetraquarks.

3. What implications do tetraquarks have for our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of tetraquarks challenges our current understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter. It suggests that there may be more complex structures than just quarks and that our understanding of the strong nuclear force may need to be revised.

4. How do tetraquarks compare to other exotic particles, such as pentaquarks or tetraquark molecules?

Tetraquarks are different from pentaquarks, which are made up of five quarks, and tetraquark molecules, which are made up of two tetraquarks. Tetraquarks are unique in that they are made up of four quarks that are all bound together, rather than being loosely connected like in pentaquarks or tetraquark molecules.

5. What future research is being done to further explore tetraquarks?

Scientists are continuing to study tetraquarks to better understand their properties and behavior. This includes experiments at various particle accelerators as well as theoretical studies. Further research on tetraquarks could also help us gain a deeper understanding of the strong nuclear force and the structure of matter.