1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[tex] f(x) = x^x [/tex]Given this function, defined, let's say for

1. Jun 19, 2004 #1
    [tex] f(x) = x^x [/tex]
    Given this function, defined, let's say for all real numbers, is there any way to tell when x is rational versus irrational for integer values of f(x)?
    e.g.
    [tex] x^x = 4 [/tex]
    x = 2
    [tex] x^x = 27 [/tex]
    x = 3
    [tex] x^x = 3 [/tex]
    x = 1.825455054...

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean other that simply taking the xth root of x?

4. Jun 19, 2004 #3
    Do you mean the xth root of f(x)? Or am I misunderstanding? And yes, I meant other than simply looking at specific argument and function values.

5. Jun 19, 2004 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops, I sure do. :redface:

I'm not sure off the top of my head, but let me play with it.

6. Jun 19, 2004 #5
    3^3 doesnt equal, so x=3 is irrational. sorry to nitpick.

interesting problem though. i bet there isnt a way besides applying the interger set for x and assuming all others will be irrational. is there any value for f(x) that results in a non interger rational number? if so, that negates using the interger set to find the y.

7. Jun 19, 2004 #6
    Thanks, I corrected the typo. And I guess that would put us on the path to a solution. Essentially, given that x is not an element of Z (the integer set), is [tex] x^x \in Z [/tex] possible?

8. Jun 19, 2004 #7
    Okay, suppose x=a/b, where a,b are integers. Assume that the fraction is reduced, ie. gcd(a,b)=1. Then x^x= (a/b)^(a/b)=[tex](\frac{a^a}{b^a})^\frac{1}{b}[/tex]

But [tex]gcd(a^a,b^a)=1[/tex], and therefore [tex](\frac{a^a}{b^a})^\frac{1}{b}[/tex] is irrational. It follows that if x^x is an integer, then either x is an integer or transcendental.

9. Jun 19, 2004 #8
    so there are also no solutions that are non intergers but rational, like 1/3 and 1/4?
    i understand that x^x is an interger if x is an interger.

that tells us that the set of intergers for x gives us the solution set of y? there are no fractional xs for interger ys? sorry im dumb. i want to learn though!

10. Jun 20, 2004 #9
    I was wondering the same thing about taking the logarithm or ln of a function.

11. Jun 20, 2004 #10

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was interested in this quite some time ago. I finally found an article saying there is no known way of rearranging the equation:

[tex]y=x^x[/tex]

In to some function of y in terms of x. But I did find an iterative formulae so you could approximate to as much accuracy as you wanted if you had y and wanted to know x. I'll see if I can find it again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?