Proving the Bounded Linearity of A in l^{p} Space

• Thread starter daishin
  • Start date
In summary, we are asked to show that A is a bounded linear functional on l^p, given that A is a mapping from l^p to l^p. This is not obvious and we can use characterization (c) in the first post to prove it. The key is to compute ||Ax||_p and split it into three cases, using Holder's inequality and Cauchy-Schwarz. Additionally, a more challenging problem is to prove that the same map is continuous if it maps sequences in l^p to sequences in l^p'.
daishin

Homework Statement

Let 1[tex]\leq[/tex]p[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] and suppose ([tex]\alpha_{ij}[/tex] is a matrix such that (Af)(i)=[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{j=1}[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]_{ij}[/tex]f(j) defines an element Af of [tex]l^{p}[/tex] for every f in [tex]l^{p}[/tex]. Show that A is a bounded linear functional on [tex]l^{p}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Isn't this obvious if we apply theorem that says following are equivalent for A:X-->X a linear transformation on normed space?
(a)A is bounded linear functional
(b)A is continuous at some point
(c)There is a positive constant c such that ||Ax||[tex]\leq[/tex]c||x|| for all x in X.

The Attempt at a Solution

Isn't the contiunuity of f obvious? So by the theorem, I think A is bounded linear functional on [tex]l^{p}[/tex]. Could you guys correct me if I am wrong? Or if I am right could you just say it is right?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Er, the continuity of f? f is an element of l^p, not a function. Also, how is A a functional on l^p? To me a functional on X is a mapping into the scalar field, and I believe this is standard terminology; A looks like a mapping from l^p to l^p (namely f [itex]\mapsto[/itex] Af).

Edit:
Looking at what you said again, I think you might've meant to say "continuity at f". If so, what f?

Last edited:
Maybe then I should say that A is bounded linear transformation?
But still isn't continuity of A obvious by construction?

Why is it obvious? Can you post your proof?

Sorry. It's not obvious. It seems continuous though.
I know for given epsilon > 0, I need to find delta>0 such that ||f||<delta implies
||Af||<epsilon. Hmm.. How can I find such delta? Or use cauchy sequence?

It's not that it's a difficult problem, but I just wouldn't say that the continuity of A is obvious. Anyway, I would use characterization (c) in the first post. Namely, try to compute ||Ax||_p given an arbitrary sequence x=(x_1, x_2, ...) in l^p. It will help to split this into three cases, depending on whether p=1, 1<p<[itex]\infty[/itex], or p=[itex]\infty[/itex]. Holder's inequality (and Cauchy-Schwarz) will be helpful in the first two cases.

If you need any more hints, post back.

Also, a much more interesting (and more difficult!) problem is to prove that the same map, x [itex]\mapsto[/itex] Ax, is continuous if it maps sequence in l^p to sequences in l^p', where 1 < p, p' < [itex]\infty[/itex]. You might want to try to tackle this one if you're looking for a challenge.

Last edited:

What is [tex]l^{p} space[/tex]?

[tex]l^{p} space[/tex] is a mathematical concept used in functional analysis to describe a space of sequences with certain properties. It is a generalization of the concept of a vector space, where the elements of the space are sequences of real or complex numbers.

What is the difference between [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] and [tex]L^{p} space[/tex]?

The difference between [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] and [tex]L^{p} space[/tex] lies in the domain of the sequences. [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] is a space of sequences with finite p-norms, while [tex]L^{p} space[/tex] is a space of functions with finite p-norms over a given measure space.

What are the properties of [tex]l^{p} space[/tex]?

The properties of [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] depend on the value of p. For p = 1, the space is known as the space of absolutely summable sequences. For p = 2, the space is known as the space of square-summable sequences. For p = ∞, the space is known as the space of bounded sequences. In general, [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] is a Banach space for all values of p.

What is the importance of [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] in mathematics and science?

[tex]l^{p} space[/tex] has many important applications in mathematics and science. It is used in the study of Fourier series, where it provides a natural setting for the convergence of trigonometric series. It is also used in the study of dynamical systems, where it plays a key role in the theory of ergodicity. Additionally, [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] is used in probability theory, statistical analysis, and signal processing.

What are some common examples of [tex]l^{p} space[/tex]?

The most common examples of [tex]l^{p} space[/tex] are the spaces [tex]l^{1}[/tex], [tex]l^{2}[/tex], and [tex]l^{\infty}[/tex]. [tex]l^{1}[/tex] corresponds to sequences where the sum of the absolute values of the terms is finite. [tex]l^{2}[/tex] corresponds to sequences where the sum of the squares of the terms is finite. [tex]l^{\infty}[/tex] corresponds to sequences where the supremum of the absolute values of the terms is finite.