Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tex problem?

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1
    I'm working on a post involving a lot of tex-formatted material, but each time I try to preview what I've written, the preview shows me stuff I wrote in previous posts, in different threads, completely unrelated to the tex material I just wrote (but mixed in with the ordinary text of the new post). What's going on?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2
    Hmmm anyone else? Unfortunately it seems out tex expert has left the building. :frown:

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3
    I guess I'll just wait until this clears up. Otherwise the post will just be jibberish. (Of course, it may be that anyway). :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. Feb 9, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have encountered the same problem many times.
    Advice:
    Don't write too many code lines one after another.With so many consecutive symbols ("}" i mean),it will be very hard to spot errors.

Daniel.

P.S.By that behavior,the compiler shows you you've give him a wrong code.It's not its fault by any chance.

6. Feb 9, 2005 #5
    Is there something wrong with this (other than that the tex tags are replaced by quote tags):
    because when I preview ONLY that, it shows me the graphic for this INSTEAD:
    which is a piece of inline tex code that I was previewing in the post I'm trying to format.

7. Feb 9, 2005 #6

hellfire

Science Advisor

When you edit a correct tex code and introduce an error, an old formula is displayed. I also had this problem already.

I previewed both codes you have posted: the second one is correct, but for the first one I see the last latex formula I have posted in the homework forum... Thus I assume there is something wrong, but I cannot tell you where the error is.

8. Feb 9, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \begin{array}{cc} \text{Variable} & \text{Meaning}\\

Q[i,k] & \text{At time "i"} \ \text{M is in state} \ q_{k} \\

H[i,j] & \text{At time "i"} & \text{the read-write head} \ \text{is scanning tape square "j"}\\

S[i,j,k] & \text{At time "i", the contents of} \ \text{tape square "j" is symbol} \ s_{k} \end{array} [/tex]

Is that better...?

Daniel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  9. Feb 9, 2005 #8
    Not really. I'm trying to get the entries in each column to be left-aligned, and to be able to have some entries in the second column extend to several lines leaving the first column blank on those "continuation" lines.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this thread to become a new competing tex-formatting discusssion. I just wanted to alert the Admins to what I think is a board problem. Let's restrict the discussion here to whether this is a board issue or a code issue.

If anyone has suggestions on how to fix my code, let's continue that discussion in the "sticky" Latex typesetting thread in General Physics. Thanks all.

10. Feb 9, 2005 #9
    It was a code problem. Solved.

11. Feb 9, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's always the human's fault,well,for intelligent software,for Windows... :yuck:

Daniel.

12. Feb 9, 2005 #11
    Into which category would you put the fact that subscripts can be used in \mbox, and they can be used in {array}, but not in \mbox in an {array}? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. Feb 9, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: Human error of course:It's not the compiler's fault,but this time,the programmer's...

ALWAYS HUMAN ERRORS.NOT NECESSARILY USER'S... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?