1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tex vs latex

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    I was feeling sorry for the guy that started that thread, so I took this discussion off to a new thread. I don't know if there is a better forum for it.

Actually, I was already not using GUIs long before there even were GUIs. I got the miktex package and started using the pdftex utility. I haven't read any documentation so I'm probably not using it to best advantage, but it does work for me.

What is the difference between tex and latex? Should I use pdftex or pfdlatex? Pretty soon I am going to post my results in Snyder-Conway theory on my website and it will be in a pdf file.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

Essentially, LaTeX is a built on TeX. TeX itself, is quite difficult to use, whereas, LaTeX was written by mathematicians/scientists for mathematicians/scientists. TeX, itself, is also quite old. You should use all the *latex commands, rather than the *tex commands.

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"I was already not using GUIs long before there even were GUIs."

Weren't we all?

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4
    I can't speak for everyone. My kids can't even spell CLI.

I got a book on latex and now I see that what I want is latex, not tex. So I converted my sample.tex to lasample.tex and successfully converted it to pdf. Thanks to all for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?