Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake

1. Oct 19, 2003 #1
    I love horror movies but I've never seen the original because it seemed too disturbing.

Nevertheless, I went out last night with some of my classmates to watch the remake of it and then we went out for sushi afterwards.

Even now, I'm still wondering why I went to see it...

Have any of you guys seen it yet? And if so, what did you think?

If I can describe it in one word it would be disturbing...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

doesn't expose herself to stuff like that :)

4. Oct 19, 2003 #3
    Herself? It wasn't a date

Actually, I really shouldn't have seen that movie because it let horrible images in my mind (and they probably won't go away).

What was really disturbing was how I was analyzing the scientific and the mathematical standpoint of the movie:

"Well, we obviously know that the event that Leatherface picks the locker with Jessica Biel in it and the event that Leatherface picks the locker with the pig in it are mutually exclusive because one locker is not going to fit both of them"

"See how Leatherface is swinging that chainsaw? You can find his center of mass easy..."

"Do you think that there is an association between rural areas and homicidal families? Give me that table of chi-square values."

5. Oct 19, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

date? huh?

Yeah, I have seen graphic images a few years ago on the net.. they stay in your minds eye for about a week after which they fade. I don't even go out for stuff like that anymore, rather go see some pretty pictures or movies :)

6. Oct 19, 2003 #5
    Havn't seen chainsaw massacre yet, but as long as your on the topic of 'disturbing' movies...I saw kill bill lastnight. It was an hour and a half of multi camera angled limb severing and decapitation

Tarantino did however manage to fit some culture into it. So if you don't feel like going for the gore, go for the cultural experience

7. Oct 19, 2003 #6
    Nevermind. Speaking of massacres, I just massacred a joke.

Yes. There are some websites out there that freak me out. It's morbid and I can't believe people can actually withstand viewing things like that with an unusual calm.

That's why I'm more into comedy (even romance movies aren't that bad).

But horror movies can have a positive effect. I feel smarter after watching some of the teenagers in 80's horror movies.

8. Oct 19, 2003 #7
    I want to see Kill Bill (I might be going next Sat).

I expect a Tarantino film to be filled with that kind of stuff.

9. Oct 19, 2003 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dateline is already too much for me! (that american journalistic documentary program)

10. Oct 19, 2003 #9
    The origional movie was horrible! It was one of the worst films I have seen in my life. I would rather watch every Pauly Shore movie than see that piece of garbage again.

11. Oct 20, 2003 #10
    In many ways the original is one of the most horrifying movies made. I think part of it is because the terrible film quality makes it seem like it was filmed as it was happening with a cheap camera.

I love cheap horror flicks. Too much spent on effects and slick Hollywood camera work and you actually loose realism. Hitchcock's Psyco, Evil Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, were all cheaply done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?