Texas group launches scholarship exclusively for white males

In summary, the Texas non-profit has launched a new scholarship for people in the white demographic who didn't have the same opportunities as other students. This is a great step in the right direction and should be lauded. Racism is a problem in our society, but this scholarship shows that not all people are limited by their race.
g33kski11z
Honestly, its about time. Not to sound racist or anything, but I'm white and grew up poor. My parents didn't have money to send me to college. As a 'white' kid I was never eligible for most of the special types of loans/grants/scholarships that minority's are. I'm glad to see one established for people in my (former) situation.

link --> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/campus-overload/2011/02/texas_non-profit_launches_new.html

.. thoughts...??

Physics news on Phys.org
g33kski11z said:
Honestly, its about time. Not to sound racist or anything, but I'm white and grew up poor. My parents didn't have money to send me to college. As a 'white' kid I was never eligible for most of the special types of loans/grants/scholarships that minority's are. I'm glad to see one established for people in my (former) situation.

link --> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/campus-overload/2011/02/texas_non-profit_launches_new.html

.. thoughts...??

If it's a private organization, and there is 0 public money in it, I see no issue with it. They could make a scholarship for dogs only, martians or reformed prostitutes, I couldn't care less.

Racism is a problem in our society, but no being, god or government should have the power to tell man how to spend his hard money or to whom they are allowed to pass them or not.

aren't there plenty of scholarships where you must be a certain minority?

Greg Bernhardt said:
aren't there plenty of scholarships where you must be a certain minority?

There are a lot of those. Again, no issue with those if they are from private money.

The reason I posted this was because I've never heard of a 'white only' type scholarship. Granted you only need to be 25% white, but still. Is there any other (private or public) scholarship like that?

As a person who is half Mexican, I think this is a great thing. Just because you're white doesn't mean you can't be poor. This is the first I've heard of such a scholarship. Scholarships should be about helping people that are suited for college to pay for college that otherwise wouldn't be able to.

The only thing I've ever seen that comes close to this was a grant/fellowship I saw that was specifically for certain nationals of a country attending the school. I think you were eligible if you were from some Eastern Europe nation... and since they're predominantly "white", you could kinda misconstrue that to be a scholarship for white people but that's a looooooooong shot.

1. What is the purpose of this scholarship?

The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support for white males who may face barriers in pursuing higher education due to their race or gender.

2. Who is eligible to apply for this scholarship?

Any white male student who is currently enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university in Texas is eligible to apply for this scholarship.

3. How much money will be awarded through this scholarship?

The scholarship will provide a one-time award of $2,500 to the selected recipient.

4. Is there a specific field of study required for this scholarship?

No, this scholarship is open to students in any field of study. The selection criteria will be based on academic achievement, leadership potential, and financial need.

5. How can I apply for this scholarship?

Interested students can apply for this scholarship by submitting a complete application, including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal essay, to the Texas group responsible for managing the scholarship. The application deadline and submission details can be found on their website.