Struggle with Texmaker and Document Viewer

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeusAbscondus
  • Start date
In summary, the Texmaker user is trying to compile a document but is having difficulty. The user is running Linux and using Document Viewer (standard Ubuntu software). The user has two saved files, one .tex and one .pdf, but only sees them by opening the files with Texmaker. The user is trying to find the formula for exponential growth, but has not succeeded.
DeusAbscondus
I'm going out of my brain trying to get a tiny bit of functionality out of Texmaker, a Tex editor i downloaded and created a test document in.

I know I have .tex file.

But I can't get it into pdf.

I'm running Linux with a thing called Document Viewer (standard Ubuntu software)

Could anyone help?
thx
Deus' Abs

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: off topic: LaTex question

DeusAbscondus said:
I'm going out of my brain trying to get a tiny bit of functionality out of Texmaker, a Tex editor i downloaded and created a test document in.

I know I have .tex file.

But I can't get it into pdf.

I'm running Linux with a thing called Document Viewer (standard Ubuntu software)

Could anyone help?
thx
Deus' Abs

Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

To compile a document you have to press the "run" arrow(See here). Did you try this?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

To compile a document you have to press the "run" arrow(See here). Did you try this?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thanks kindly Suharaka.
Yes, i did hit F2 and got a clean command executed;
and then, when I hit F12, I got the following:

"Process started

Input index file letter to tom.idx not found. Usage: makeindex [-ilqrcgLT] [-s sty] [-o ind] [-t log] [-p num] [idx0 idx1 ...]

Process exited with error(s)"

without quotes of course...
I can see two saved files on hard drive: one .tex and one .pdf but the only way i see either is by opening with Texmaker.

Code:
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{letter}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\address{Michael Fitzgerald mfitzgerald@gmail.com} 
\signature{I doubt therefore I think.} 
\begin{document} 
\begin{letter}{Dear Tom} 
\opening{Hello and how is your head you fearful drunk?} 
This is a little test of my incipient LaTex skills, starting off a very low base of skill=0
I meant to say something like the following yesterday, when, in a flurry of emails, I troubled your closing minutes of gainful employment with my panic-stricken pleas for help; it was meant to indicate what I do know about the problem at hand:\\
A quantity \textsf{x} depends exponentially on a time \textsf{t} if \\$x(t)=a.b^{\dfrac{t}{\tau}}$\\
where the constant \textsf{a} is the initial value of \textsf{x},\\ 
$x(0)=a$,\\ and the constant \textsf{b} is a positive growth factor, and $\tau$ is the time required for \textsf{x} to increase by a factor of \textsf{b}:\\ $x(t+\tau)=x(t)b$\\
if $\tau$ is greater than $0$ and \\ $b$ is greater than $1$\\ then $x$ has exponential growth, right?\\I know this is at least sensible if not actually correct, because I pinched it, substantially, from Wikipaedia.\\

But then I still have to find the  formula and here you see I've wasted another sleepless night in generating this piffle, which, it should be added in my favour, has the distinct virtue of being more than half-way legible, n'est-ce pas?
\closing{Fare thee well this weekend and do try to stay off the snaps or you'll get a red nose} 
%\cc{Cclist} 
%\ps{adding a postscript} 
%\encl{list of enclosed material} 
\end{letter} 
\end{document}

I include the code in case you might be able to help.
Thanks again,
Deus Abs

Last edited:

DeusAbscondus said:
Thanks kindly Suharaka.
Yes, i did hit F2 and got a clean command executed;
and then, when I hit F12, I got the following:

"Process started

Input index file letter to tom.idx not found. Usage: makeindex [-ilqrcgLT] [-s sty] [-o ind] [-t log] [-p num] [idx0 idx1 ...]

Process exited with error(s)"

without quotes of course...
I can see two saved files on hard drive: one .tex and one .pdf but the only way i see either is by opening with Texmaker.

Code:
\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{letter}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\address{Michael Fitzgerald mfitzgerald@gmail.com} 
\signature{I doubt therefore I think.} 
\begin{document} 
\begin{letter}{Dear Tom} 
\opening{Hello and how is your head you fearful drunk?} 
This is a little test of my incipient LaTex skills, starting off a very low base of skill=0
I meant to say something like the following yesterday, when, in a flurry of emails, I troubled your closing minutes of gainful employment with my panic-stricken pleas for help; it was meant to indicate what I do know about the problem at hand:\\
A quantity \textsf{x} depends exponentially on a time \textsf{t} if \\$x(t)=a.b^{\dfrac{t}{\tau}}$\\
where the constant \textsf{a} is the initial value of \textsf{x},\\ 
$x(0)=a$,\\ and the constant \textsf{b} is a positive growth factor, and $\tau$ is the time required for \textsf{x} to increase by a factor of \textsf{b}:\\ $x(t+\tau)=x(t)b$\\
if $\tau$ is greater than $0$ and \\ $b$ is greater than $1$\\ then $x$ has exponential growth, right?\\I know this is at least sensible if not actually correct, because I pinched it, substantially, from Wikipaedia.\\

But then I still have to find the  formula and here you see I've wasted another sleepless night in generating this piffle, which, it should be added in my favour, has the distinct virtue of being more than half-way legible, n'est-ce pas?
\closing{Fare thee well this weekend and do try to stay off the snaps or you'll get a red nose} 
%\cc{Cclist} 
%\ps{adding a postscript} 
%\encl{list of enclosed material} 
\end{letter} 
\end{document}

I include the code in case you might be able to help.
Thanks again,
Deus Abs

I am not using Texmaker. However I complied your code using TeXworks. It contains no errors and the pdf was generated successfully. So the problem you are facing is something related to the Texmaker configurations.

I am afraid I won't be able to help you with this one, but I hope somebody else who uses Texmaker will answer you. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
I am not using Texmaker. However I complied your code using TeXworks. It contains no errors and the pdf was generated successfully. So the problem you are facing is something related to the Texmaker configurations.

I am afraid I won't be able to help you with this one, but I hope somebody else who uses Texmaker will answer you. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

You really are a very kind and generous human being, man! Thank you!
When I got word of your last post, I was encouraged that the code was good, so, i went and did what I should have done hours ago: I read the manual!
and found, among other interesting and helpful items, this:
"don't try to compile a file with spaces in the title" Can u believe this, Sudharaka! what an imbecile I am, truly! I had a perfectly good file there, but named with a bad title. Once I fixed this, up pops my pdf which I have now proudly sent to my girlfriend and my best friend, because I have a problem I'm working on in pre-calc.

Once again: warm thanks.
Deus' Abs
PS I will also take a look at Texworks!

You also might check out using Vim for text editing. It has a learning curve, but it's as powerful as any editor out there. You can use it for code, LaTeX, config files, etc. It's especially good (probably unmatched) for editing flat files. It's highly customizable.

Ackbach said:
You also might check out using Vim for text editing. It has a learning curve, but it's as powerful as any editor out there. You can use it for code, LaTeX, config files, etc. It's especially good (probably unmatched) for editing flat files. It's highly customizable.

Thanks Achback,
I have got on my bike now with Texmaker.
But am *very* allured by what you say about Vim.
You see, while I am newbie to maths and linux, i am very keen to learn both and have lots of time
and a good data pipe at my disposal...
so, when I take up that challenge, you can be sure to get a flurry of questions from me...
but for at least a little while (say, until I've worked my way through a basic text on CLI, I think i'll stick with texmaker as a "crib" for my baby self to grow :)
Deus' Abs

PS: I had a look at Vim: it's fantastic! love it: plan to spend some time in it each day
thanks again

Last edited:

1. What is Texmaker and Document Viewer?

Texmaker is a free and open-source cross-platform LaTeX editor that allows users to create and edit documents using the LaTeX markup language. Document Viewer is a program that allows users to view and read PDF files, which are commonly generated by Texmaker.

2. Why do people struggle with Texmaker and Document Viewer?

Some people may struggle with Texmaker and Document Viewer because they are not familiar with the LaTeX markup language or the PDF format. Additionally, these programs may have a steep learning curve for those who are new to them.

3. How do I install and set up Texmaker and Document Viewer?

Texmaker can be downloaded and installed from its official website. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. Document Viewer is typically included in most Linux distributions, and for Windows and Mac users, it can be downloaded as part of the TeX Live distribution.

4. What are some common issues that arise when using Texmaker and Document Viewer?

Some common issues that may arise when using these programs include compatibility issues with different operating systems, errors in the LaTeX code, and difficulties with navigating the user interface. Additionally, Document Viewer may have trouble rendering certain fonts or graphics in PDF files.

5. Are there any alternatives to Texmaker and Document Viewer?

Yes, there are many alternatives to Texmaker and Document Viewer, such as Overleaf, LyX, and TeXstudio for LaTeX editing, and Adobe Acrobat Reader, Foxit Reader, and SumatraPDF for PDF viewing. It is recommended to try out different programs to find the one that best suits your needs and preferences.