1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Text books with solutions

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Anyone know any decent classical mechanics and/or thermo/statistical mechanics books that have many problems along with solutions?

I hate that the books I do have, which have no solutions partically (just talking about the stat of solutions and not the hateing of text here). It's not reasonable to go to professors or come here with every problem I have you know? I know that doing problems is the way to learn, but doing a hundred problems and not knowing whether they are right or wrong doesn't help me at all.

Something else that may help is solutions manuals if anyone knows where I can obtain those. It's just kind of sad the way the education sysytem works. Do the people making these books think that every student taking an upper level physics course is just going to copy all the answers or something? Aren't most people taking these sorts of courses doing it to learn? So why would they not put solutions in then?

I found a quantum mechanics book by a guy named Zettlil and it seems awesome so far and so far as I can tell. No sacrifice for text (as far as I know) to put in solutions to his problems. Why is it so rare to find a text book and problem/solution book all rolled up into one?

Sorry for the blabbering. Yeah so if anyone knows good books with solutions or where I can find solutions manuals that would be awesome, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My impression is that many of the publishing companies are now offering companion solution manuals with their texts. Pay them 100 to 150 for a text and for about another 40 you can buy a student solution manual, usually for the odd numbered problems they give answers for in the back of the book. Check out their web sites and see if solution manuals are avialable.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Greiner's book on Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics is really nice.I reccomend it.I dunno if it's expensive or not,but i don't think it will cost too much.

Daniel.

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Rea publisher has a series of very thick books full of problems and solutions, and classical mechanics and thermo are two of them. I think it's called REA's Problem Solver or something to that effect.

And of course, there's always the standby, the Schaum Outline.

Zz.

6. Apr 30, 2005 #5
    Cool, thanks for the help all :approve:

7. Apr 30, 2005 #6
    There's a whole series of books put out by the Chinese (in English, fortunately) which offers problems and solutions in a wide variety of topics. World Scientific Press.

Go to Amazon and search for "problems and solutions on mechanics". The 2nd and 3rd results are probably ones you are interested in.

They are not textbooks though, and don't always have the most complete explanations.

8. Apr 30, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have that book and they don't excel on explaining.It contains problems given at test in US Colleges.

There are better options.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?