1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Text for an electronics course

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Next fall I will be teaching an electronics class for the first time, for undergraduate physics majors (who have already taken introductory E&M and integral calculus, not necessarily PDEs). The catalog description is
    "An introduction to analog and digital electronics. Topics include DC and AC circuits, transistors, amplifiers, Boolean logic, logic circuits, analog-digital conversions, and applications. Two lectures and one 3-hour laboratory per week." ​
    I would like suggestions for a textbook, or perhaps more generally a syllabus of what to cover and when.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 21, 2017 #3
    "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill is a classic. There is an accompanying lab manual, or at least there was for the early editions.
    I believe the syllabus for Harvard's Physics123 is available on the internet; it is a renowned electronics crash-course.

Stu

5. Mar 21, 2017 #4
  6. May 1, 2017 #5
    Thank you for the responses, and apologies for the late reply. (Semester finally ended.) I got a copy of Hayes and Horowitz (the lab manual connected to H&H), but I found it rather difficult going: I think it leaves a lot unsaid, and would be difficult for a first-time electronics student to follow. Maybe an experienced electronics instructor could fill in the gaps, but I don't fit that bill.
    I do like the CalTech manual, and I may end up using it. I have to go order some op-amps first, though; that book really LOVES op-amps. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted