Text for an electronics course

In summary, the instructor recommends a textbook by Horowitz and Hill and a lab manual by Hayes and Horowitz.
Scott Hill
Next fall I will be teaching an electronics class for the first time, for undergraduate physics majors (who have already taken introductory E&M and integral calculus, not necessarily PDEs). The catalog description is
"An introduction to analog and digital electronics. Topics include DC and AC circuits, transistors, amplifiers, Boolean logic, logic circuits, analog-digital conversions, and applications. Two lectures and one 3-hour laboratory per week."​
I would like suggestions for a textbook, or perhaps more generally a syllabus of what to cover and when.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill is a classic. There is an accompanying lab manual, or at least there was for the early editions.
I believe the syllabus for Harvard's Physics123 is available on the internet; it is a renowned electronics crash-course.

Stu

Likes ramzerimar
Thank you for the responses, and apologies for the late reply. (Semester finally ended.) I got a copy of Hayes and Horowitz (the lab manual connected to H&H), but I found it rather difficult going: I think it leaves a lot unsaid, and would be difficult for a first-time electronics student to follow. Maybe an experienced electronics instructor could fill in the gaps, but I don't fit that bill.
I do like the CalTech manual, and I may end up using it. I have to go order some op-amps first, though; that book really LOVES op-amps. :)

1. What is the purpose of a text for an electronics course?

The purpose of a text for an electronics course is to provide students with a comprehensive and organized resource for learning about electronics. It may cover topics such as basic principles, components, circuit design, and practical applications.

2. Is a text for an electronics course suitable for beginners?

Yes, a text for an electronics course can be suitable for beginners, depending on the level and complexity of the course. Some texts are designed specifically for beginners and provide a gentle introduction to the subject, while others may be more advanced and require some prior knowledge.

3. What types of information can be found in a text for an electronics course?

A text for an electronics course may include information such as theory, diagrams, schematics, circuit analysis, troubleshooting techniques, and real-world examples. It may also cover specific topics like digital electronics, microcontrollers, and integrated circuits.

4. Are there any practical exercises or hands-on activities in a text for an electronics course?

Some texts for electronics courses may include practical exercises or hands-on activities, but this may vary depending on the specific course and textbook. It is always a good idea to check the table of contents or reviews of the text before purchasing to see if it includes these types of activities.

5. Can a text for an electronics course be used as a reference after completing the course?

Yes, a text for an electronics course can serve as a valuable reference for students even after completing the course. It can be used to refresh knowledge, review concepts, or as a guide for future projects or applications. However, it is important to note that technology and techniques may change over time, so the text may need to be updated or supplemented with additional resources.