Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Text for Analysis Review

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    I just finished taking a year-long undergraduate analysis sequence. The texts I used for this sequence were the first eight chapters of Rudin's PMA (everything before multivariable calculus) and Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds, as well as a little bit of my professor's lecture notes on differential forms and Green's, Gauss's, and Stoke's theorems. I am also thinking of taking the graduate-level analysis sequence (Text: W. Rudin's "Real and Complex Analysis"). Whether I take the graduate-level sequence or not, I think it would be a good idea for me to review and do more problems from the undergraduate analysis sequence again, and I was wondering if there is any good textbook for me to read over this summer. I can certainly read Baby Rudin again, but I also heard a good stuff about C. Pugh's "Real Mathematical Analysis," and I was wondering if this is an appropriate text for me to read over this summer. Let me know if there is any other good textbook.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

Pugh certainly is nice, with a lot of problems. Again (as in your other thread), I'd like to suggest Knapp, namely his Basic Real Analysis, although it is more advanced than undergraduate. Other suggestions: Carothers' Real Analysis, Loomis & Sternberg's Advanced Calculus (free from www), Lang's Undergraduate Analysis, Apostol's Mathematical Analysis, Zorich's Analysis I,II.

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your suggestion again, Landau! From looking at Knapp's table of contents, I might enjoy that almost everything I learned this year is in the first three chapters, and goes straight into more advanced materials in the later chapters. I might also like the fact that book has hints to the problems at the end of the book, which might be great for self-studying. And it looks like Knapp's Basic Real Analysis is in my library, so I will probably get it pretty soon, and I'm pretty excited about that!

More suggestions are welcome.

5. Jun 15, 2010 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

The books by Knapp (Basic+Advanced Algebra, Basic+Advanced Analysis) are really great. They are extremely clear, have hints and solutions to all exercises, and contain about everything you will encounter in undergraduate and graduate school about algebra and analysis. Actually, as he states in the preface, he wrote them with the goal in mind to provide young mathematicians the background which will be assumed in conferences.

Another suggestion is https://www.amazon.com/Postmodern-Analysis-Jurgen-Jost/dp/3540438734 by Jost.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook