Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Text formatting error?

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that all of a sudden,

paragraph breaks in text are not showing up

when that text is nested within [ quote ] tags,

as I will shortly demonstrate.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, they become automatically deleted upon quoting. The same thing happens when one edits posts as well. Everything seemed fine after the new forum software update, so I imagine this "bug" was introduced after the latest renovations (~1 hour ago)?

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As I was busy writing all those sticky threads for the new HW help forums, I also noticed that when I previewed a post containing other tags (in this case, I had [ size] tags), the paragraph break/space just before the tags disappeared. It doesn't do it if you don't preview the post. So, what happens is that the text shows up okay in the preview, but the space is gone from your actual reply, so when you click on "submit," you don't get the same thing that showed up in preview.

Oh, another slightly quirky thing that I just remembered while writing this: the first line that exceeds the size of the quick reply box doesn't seem to activate the scroll bar. I can highlight the text in the box to move up and down, but no scroll bar. As soon as I type one more line of text, so that there are two lines more than fit in the reply box, the scroll bar appears just fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?