Text Formatting Error: Paragraph Breaks Not Showing in Quote Tags

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that there is currently a bug in the forum software where paragraph breaks are automatically deleted when the text is nested within [ quote ] tags. This issue also occurs when previewing a post with other tags, causing the paragraph break/space to disappear. Additionally, there is a small issue with the scroll bar not appearing until a certain number of lines have been typed in the quick reply box. These issues may have been introduced with the recent forum renovations.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It seems that all of a sudden,

paragraph breaks in text are not showing up

when that text is nested within [ quote ] tags,

as I will shortly demonstrate.

Physics news on Phys.org
hypnagogue said:
It seems that all of a sudden,
paragraph breaks in text are not showing up
when that text is nested within [ quote ] tags,
as I will shortly demonstrate.

Yes, they become automatically deleted upon quoting. The same thing happens when one edits posts as well. Everything seemed fine after the new forum software update, so I imagine this "bug" was introduced after the latest renovations (~1 hour ago)?

As I was busy writing all those sticky threads for the new HW help forums, I also noticed that when I previewed a post containing other tags (in this case, I had [ size] tags), the paragraph break/space just before the tags disappeared. It doesn't do it if you don't preview the post. So, what happens is that the text shows up okay in the preview, but the space is gone from your actual reply, so when you click on "submit," you don't get the same thing that showed up in preview.

Oh, another slightly quirky thing that I just remembered while writing this: the first line that exceeds the size of the quick reply box doesn't seem to activate the scroll bar. I can highlight the text in the box to move up and down, but no scroll bar. As soon as I type one more line of text, so that there are two lines more than fit in the reply box, the scroll bar appears just fine.

1. What is a text formatting error?

A text formatting error is when the appearance of a text is incorrect due to incorrect coding or formatting. This can include missing or incorrect paragraph breaks, incorrect spacing, or incorrect use of tags.

2. What does "paragraph breaks not showing in quote tags" mean?

This means that when a quote tag is used in a text, the paragraph breaks within the quote are not being displayed correctly. This can result in the quote appearing as one long block of text, without any line breaks.

3. Why are paragraph breaks important in quote tags?

Paragraph breaks are important in quote tags because they help to visually separate different parts of the quote and make it easier to read. Without paragraph breaks, the quote may be difficult to understand or appear as one long, confusing block of text.

4. What can cause paragraph breaks to not show in quote tags?

There are a few possible causes for paragraph breaks not showing in quote tags. One common cause is incorrect or missing coding, such as forgetting to close a tag or using the wrong tag. Another cause could be a conflict with other formatting or coding within the text.

5. How can I fix the issue of paragraph breaks not showing in quote tags?

To fix this issue, you will need to carefully review the coding and formatting in the text. Make sure all tags are closed properly and that there are no conflicting formatting or coding. If you are unable to identify and fix the issue, you may need to seek assistance from a web developer or programmer.