Text on differential geometry

In summary: So if you have a solid understanding of linear algebra, you can breeze through the differential geometry without needing to consult a mathematics text. In summary, if you're starting from scratch and don't have a strong algebra background, you may want to pick up some texts that cover algebra before diving into differential geometry. Otherwise, you can start with a GR text and work your way through the algebra.
srp
Hello,

I was hoping if somebody could point me to a starters text on differential geometry. I have done some calculas ~4 years ago - I can refresh stuff as I need to. My physics is at high school level, but I do read up on stuff every once a while

My aim in learning diff geom is to be able to understand a mathematical treatment of GTR.

regards
srp

Physics news on Phys.org
srp said:
Hello,

I was hoping if somebody could point me to a starters text on differential geometry. I have done some calculas ~4 years ago - I can refresh stuff as I need to. My physics is at high school level, but I do read up on stuff every once a while

My aim in learning diff geom is to be able to understand a mathematical treatment of GTR.

regards
srp

Here is a discussion with some helpful information:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=6731

srp said:
Hello,

regards
srp
If I were you then I'd get

Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles, Lovelock & Rund, Dover Pub., (1989)

Differential Geometry, Kreyszig, Dover Pub., (1991)

There is Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Continuum Mechanics which is online at the bottom of
http://www.math.odu.edu/~jhh/counter2.html

My favorite is Lovelock. But if your goal is to learn GR then learn it as you learn GR. By the text A first course in general relativity, Bernard F. Schutz, Cambridge Univ. Press, (1990). Its an excellant text. I learned GR from it and I didn't know much differential geometry before I started.

Pete

srp said:
I was hoping if somebody could point me to a starters text on differential geometry. I have done some calculas ~4 years ago
I'm going to answer your question with a question.

How's your algebra?

I can tell you from personal experience that if you don't have a solid understanding of linear algebra, differential geometry is going to seem _much_ harder than it needs to be. "Some calculus" usually implies very little algebra, since that typically comes after calculus in the curriculum.

If you don't have a solid algebra background, I'd strongly suggest picking up one or two algebra texts and working through as much of it as you can force yourself to do, and I'd suggest doing it before hitting the differential geometry.

There are many algebra books, but if you want a recommendation, I've found Michael Artin's "Algebra" to be readable, accessible, and useful. (And I'm not working for Artin, really, even though I've recommended this text a few other times in other forums!)

Just as one simple example, if you already know what a "bilinear form" is before you first encounter the metric tensor, you won't feel quited so bushwhacked by it all.

And finally, differential geometry can be learned from GR texts, as well as from math texts. The authors often assume tensor calculus is new to the reader, and so they explain it as they go -- but not so the algebra!

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the geometric properties of curves and surfaces using methods from calculus and linear algebra. It provides a framework for understanding and solving problems related to shapes and spaces.

2. How is differential geometry applied in science?

Differential geometry has many applications in science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to describe the curvature of space-time in general relativity, to optimize the design of structures and materials, and to model and visualize complex surfaces and shapes.

3. What are some key concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include curvature, geodesics, and the fundamental forms of a surface. Curvature measures the amount by which a curve or surface deviates from a straight line or a flat plane. Geodesics are the shortest paths between points on a curved surface. The fundamental forms describe the local geometry of a surface, including its shape and curvature.

4. What are the differences between differential geometry and Euclidean geometry?

Differential geometry differs from Euclidean geometry in several ways. While Euclidean geometry focuses on the properties of flat, two-dimensional shapes, differential geometry deals with curved, higher-dimensional spaces. It also uses tools from calculus and linear algebra, whereas Euclidean geometry relies on geometric constructions and proofs.

5. What are some real-world examples of differential geometry?

Differential geometry can be applied to many real-world situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, designing the shape of a car or airplane for optimal aerodynamics, and creating computer-generated images of realistic and complex surfaces. It is also used in fields like robotics, computer vision, and medical imaging.