• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Text Region Question

• Thread starter Twoacross
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Determine the value of k for which the graphs of p(x) = x + 2 x + 3 and q(x) = k + 5 x - 7 x
enclose an area of exactly 36. Be sure to use text regions to annotate your work (i.e. explain your reasoning).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i tried doing first was finding the points of intersection at a and b to set up my integral and ended up with 3 plus/minus the sqrt(-87) all divided by 16. so I found my a and b values.

Ive attempted in differentiating this question using differential equations methods, and I dont seem to be getting the answer im looking for.

At this point, I dont know where to go from here, Help would be kindly appreciated!

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine the value of k for which the graphs of p(x) = x + 2 x + 3 and q(x) = k + 5 x - 7 x
enclose an area of exactly 36. Be sure to use text regions to annotate your work (i.e. explain your reasoning).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i tried doing first was finding the points of intersection at a and b to set up my integral and ended up with 3 plus/minus the sqrt(-87) all divided by 16. so I found my a and b values.

Ive attempted in differentiating this question using differential equations methods, and I dont seem to be getting the answer im looking for.

At this point, I dont know where to go from here, Help would be kindly appreciated!

Thank you!
Your first step would be to state the problem correctly. Maybe you need to use the X2 button. You have given two strangely written equations of straight lines which, by themselves, can't enclose an area.