Solving the Density of States: Understanding dn/dE

In summary: There's a subtle difference in that "deriving" is finding the formula from first principles, while "differentiating" is finding the rate of change of a formula that is already given.
Addez123
Homework Statement
$$E = \frac{(n_x^2 + n_y^2 +n_z^2) \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}$$
Find density of state
Relevant Equations
Quantum mechanics
$$n = \sqrt{n_x^2 + n_y^2 +n_z^2}$$
$$E = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}$$
$$n = \sqrt{ \frac{2mL^2E}{\pi^2 \hbar^2} }$$

This is all given by the textbook.
It's even as friendly as to say
$$\text{differential number of states in dE} = \frac{1}{8}4 \pi n^2 dn$$
$$D(E) = \frac{ \text{differential number of states in dE} }{dE} = \frac{1}{8}4 \pi n^2 \frac{dn}{dE}$$

Everything written above is what my textbook says when it tries to explain density of state.
Then it says: "Its left to the reader to show that this equation becomes:"
$$D(E) = \frac {m^{3/2}L^3}{\pi^2 \hbar^3 \sqrt{2}} E^{1/2}$$

What is dn/dE?
am I suppose to take the derivative of dn first??

If I do im left with
$$\frac{\pi mL^2E}{ \pi^2\hbar^2} \frac{1}{dE}$$
Now what?
Divide by a derivative?! What does that even mean!?
What am I suppose to do with the ##\frac{1}{dE}## term?

I've been stuck at this point for days now. No single youtube formula can explain the steps because everyone does it differently and involves other constants such as k etc. It's all very confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: $$E = \frac{(n_x^2 + n_y^2 +n_z^2) \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}$$
Find density of state
Relevant Equations:: Quantum mechanics

$$n = \sqrt{n_x^2 + n_y^2 +n_z^2}$$
$$E = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}$$
$$n = \sqrt{ \frac{2mL^2E}{\pi^2 \hbar^2} }$$

This is all given by the textbook.
It's even as friendly as to say
$$\text{differential number of states in dE} = \frac{1}{8}4 \pi n^2 dn$$
$$D(E) = \frac{ \text{differential number of states in dE} }{dE} = \frac{1}{8}4 \pi n^2 \frac{dn}{dE}$$

Everything written above is what my textbook says when it tries to explain density of state.
Then it says: "Its left to the reader to show that this equation becomes:"
$$D(E) = \frac {m^{3/2}L^3}{\pi^2 \hbar^3 \sqrt{2}} E^{1/2}$$

What is dn/dE?
It's the derivative of n with respect to E. You are given the formula for n as a function of E. This is a fairly simple differentiation problem.
Addez123 said:
am I suppose to take the derivative of dn first??
No. See above.
Addez123 said:
If I do im left with
$$\frac{\pi mL^2E}{ \pi^2\hbar^2} \frac{1}{dE}$$
No, that's incorrect.
Addez123 said:
Now what?
Divide by a derivative?! What does that even mean!?
What am I suppose to do with the ##\frac{1}{dE}## term?

I've been stuck at this point for days now. No single youtube formula can explain the steps because everyone does it differently and involves other constants such as k etc. It's all very confusing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Addez123
Do you understand their "friendly " hint? Do you realize where the 1/8 comes from? You are trying to count the number of degenerateb states as n gets large by taking a continuum approximation.
Youtube formula? How about a book?

Likes Addez123
Mark44 said:
It's the derivative of n with respect to E. You are given the formula for n as a function of E. This is a fairly simple differentiation problem.

No. See above.

No, that's incorrect.
I literally can not explain how thankful I am for this response.
I dont know how I couldnt read dn/dE as ##\frac{d}{dE}(n)## but it just never clicked.

One final problem though. Their result has ##\sqrt{2}## in the denominator. I've done it twice but I get it in the numurator, isnt that correct?

hutchphd said:
Do you understand their "friendly " hint? Do you realize where the 1/8 comes from? You are trying to count the number of degenerateb states as n gets large by taking a continuum approximation.
Youtube formula? How about a book?
The 1/8th is because we calculate all states as if it were in a cartesian coordinate system and since n cant be negative we only cover the first octant.

Its the surface of a sphere in the 1st octant * dn as they explain it.

Likes hutchphd
Addez123 said:
One final problem though. Their result has ##\sqrt{2}## in the denominator. I've done it twice but I get it in the numurator, isnt that correct?
I get exactly their result. In my work I ended up with 2 in the denominator, and ##\sqrt 2## in the numerator. Simplifying gives ##\sqrt 2## in the denominator.

Likes hutchphd and Addez123
Mark44 said:
I get exactly their result. In my work I ended up with 2 in the denominator, and ##\sqrt 2## in the numerator. Simplifying gives ##\sqrt 2## in the denominator.
Ahh yes yes! You get 1/2 from derivating the sqrt(E)!
Now it all makes sense.

Unbelivably grateful, thanks alot :) :)

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Addez123 said:
You get 1/2 from derivating the sqrt(E)!
Minor nit -- "derivating" is not a word in English, but "differentiating" is.

Likes vela, PhDeezNutz and SammyS

1. What is the density of states?

The density of states refers to the number of available quantum states per unit energy in a given system. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the distribution of particles or energy levels in a system.

2. Why is understanding dn/dE important?

Understanding dn/dE, which is the derivative of the density of states with respect to energy, is crucial in many areas of physics and materials science. It allows us to calculate important properties such as the electronic band structure and thermal conductivity of a material.

3. How is the density of states calculated?

The density of states can be calculated using various theoretical models and experimental techniques. In general, it involves counting the number of quantum states in a given energy range and normalizing it by the volume or area of the system.

4. What factors affect the density of states?

The density of states is influenced by several factors, including the dimensionality of the system, the type of particles or energy levels present, and external factors such as temperature and pressure. It also varies with the energy range being considered.

5. How is the density of states used in practical applications?

The density of states is a fundamental concept that is used in a wide range of practical applications. It is crucial for understanding and predicting the properties of materials, such as their electrical conductivity and optical properties. It also plays a key role in the design and development of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells.