1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook definition a c-number

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone--I was hoping someone could give (or refer to) a textbook definition of a [tex]c[/tex]-number, as used in the context of quantum field theory.

Does this refer to a commuting number? I've also read it referring to a classical quantity. classical quantity, from a not-very-reputable source. (Though are these the same?)

If the 'c' refers to commuting, when I read something like "...spinors are anti-commuting (c-numbers)." (Bailin and Love, SUSY book) Does this mean that spinors are anti-commuting objects composed of commuting numbers? (It certainly doesn't mean that the spinors themselves are commuting...)

Thanks,
    Flip

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    C-number usually refers to "complex" number. At least that is all I have ever seen it used as.

4. Sep 6, 2005 #3

hellfire

Science Advisor

5. Sep 8, 2005 #4
    c-number is really defined as a classical number. it is not an operator or
    spinor.!

anticommuting number is Grassmann number used in the functional integral
    representation of fermionic field.

Often the Grassman number is not called c-number, maybe someone can call
    Grassmann number as c-number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?