1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook font question.

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    Sorry if this is a random/ out of place question, but I was wondering if you know what math font is used in textbooks like "Calulculus of a Single Variable" by Larson and other similar books. I like that font very much and hope to use it for papers, etc but I can't find precisely which one it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Is it just LaTeX?

4. Mar 30, 2015 #3
    I do not know the book, but I do know that there are font identifiers online. You can try those out.

5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

From the preview on Amazon, I would say that the font used is Times.

6. Mar 30, 2015 #5
    When you say "Times" do you mean Times New Roman (didn't know they had a math font)? Or MathTime? Thank you very much for your response!

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Times is a font family that is widely available, of which Times New Roman is a small variation. Special mathematical symbols can differ from one implementation to the next, but they usually are quite consistent.

If you use LaTeX, there are packages that implement a similar font, such as Nimbus Roman.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted