1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook for Complex Anaysis

1. Aug 1, 2008 #1
    Can anyone suggest a good textbook for complex analysis? My course is using the Churchill & Brown text as a reference book, but I've heard the book is lacking in rigor and proofs. Are there any other texts that are written clearly, but with a more rigorous treatment on the subject. Preferably, also not too expensive.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2
    My course is using Shaw's Complex Analysis with Mathematica.

It's a pretty good even for a non-Mathematica based course.

Just avoid anything with "engineering" in the title.
  4. Aug 23, 2008 #3
    My course used Churchill & Brown, and while it may have lacked a bit of rigor, the exposition was actually pretty wonderful. I think I learned a lot more from that book than my peers did from the more rigor-oriented books they got their hands on. My advice is to go to the bookstore and take a look through the table of contents and read a few pages out of it before you write it off.
  5. Aug 23, 2008 #4
    If you're looking for an applications-oriented text (i.e. you want to use methods from complex analysis to solve problems), I prefer Saff & Snider to Churchill & Brown. If you're more interested in complex analysis as a branch of pure mathematics, two standard texts are Ahlfors's Complex Analysis and Conway's Functions of One Complex Variable.
  6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

almost all complex analysis books are good. my own favorites include: cartan, lang, hille, but not conway or ahlfors, the usual suspects. they are good, but to me they are less clear for a beginner.
  7. Sep 4, 2008 #6
    This one is on Google Books... I'm reading it right now and it seems better than my textbook:
    Applied Complex Variables for Scientists and Engineers - By Yue Kuen Kwok
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?