Which resources should I use to prepare for the F=ma contest and USAPhO?

In summary, the conversation discusses different textbooks that can be used to prepare for the F=MA contest and advance to USAPhO. The AAPT site is recommended for assessing one's weaknesses. The Morin and Taylor textbooks are compared, with Morin's being more difficult and Taylor's being more beginner-friendly. It is suggested to start with Taylor's textbook and then move on to Morin's. For high school students, Morin has another textbook that serves as a stepping stone to his university text. Other resources such as Barron's E-Z Physics and Walter Lewin's physics lectures on YouTube are also mentioned.
member 659869
What textbook should I go through to be prepared for the F=MA contest and advance to USAPhO? Is Khan Academy AP Physics Enough? I have started HRK Physics but it seems to me to be quite boring, and out of ~50 practice problems at the end of each chapter I would say ~4-5 of them are interesting and actually difficult enough to be intellectually stimulating.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I will definitely do that but I also want to learn for fun from a textbook. Currently I am deciding between David Morins Introduction to Classical Mechanics and Taylor's Classical Mechanics? Which is better?

Morin's textbook (especially the problems) is much more difficult and is not for the novice, in my opinion. Of course, if you're able to work through it you will end up with a much better and deeper understanding of the subject. I especially liked the chapters devoted to special relativity in this regard - solving all the problems leaves you with a clear and thorough understanding of this beautiful theory (at this level of sophistication).

Taylor's is much friendlier as an introductory book and introduces all the basic stuff (Newton's laws, conservations laws, oscillations and normal modes, Kepler's problem, rigid bodies, non-inertial frames, collision theory, Lagrange's and Hamiltonian formulaiton, special relativity, even some chaos and continuum mechanics) in a very clear and lively manner. This is a very good book (as is Morin's) and Taylor is a great expositor. Though this book is not that advanced. I recommend starting with Taylor first, and the read Morin's one as a second textbook. Don't think you can just go for the latter, without having some skills and experience in classical mechanics.

Both books are pitched at the undergraduate level, so you better have studied some freshman physics course already.

For context, I am a freshman in high school, and I therefore i have little knowledge of physics relative to an entire year's course (basically nothing more than free-body diagrams). I think I will do Barron's E-Z Physics and Khan Academy, brush up on calculus then go into Morin from there

ShreyJ said:
For context, I am a freshman in high school

Morin has another physics book that is aimed at high school AP students, and is intended as a stepping stone to his university text. It’s still calculus-based but the problems are more accessible and includes discussions on problem solving strategies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482086921/?tag=pfamazon01-20

As a bonus, the book is quite inexpensive!

I also recommend Walter Lewin’s physics lectures on YouTube for their excellent content and sheer fun.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCliSRiiRVQuDfgxI_QN_Fmw/playlists

1. What is the "Textbook For F=ma Contest?"

The "Textbook For F=ma Contest" is an annual competition organized by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) that challenges high school students to create a textbook chapter on a specific topic in physics.

2. Who can participate in the "Textbook For F=ma Contest?"

The contest is open to all high school students in the United States and Canada, regardless of their level of physics knowledge or experience.

3. What are the criteria for judging in the "Textbook For F=ma Contest?"

The entries are judged based on their scientific accuracy, clarity of writing, creativity, and overall presentation. The judges also consider the originality and effectiveness of the teaching methods used in the textbook chapter.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the "Textbook For F=ma Contest?"

Participating in the contest provides students with the opportunity to develop their research, writing, and presentation skills. It also allows them to explore a specific topic in physics in depth and potentially win recognition and prizes.

5. How can I enter the "Textbook For F=ma Contest?"

To enter the contest, students must submit their textbook chapter and accompanying materials, such as diagrams and videos, to the AAPT by the specified deadline. More information on the submission process can be found on the AAPT website.