1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook for inequalities?

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1
    Hi!

At university I have got a problem set with lots of inequalities. Unfortunately there are no explanations given how to do them. In Highschool we only did very easy inequalities.
    Therefore I am looking for a resource for inequalities. Especially for more difficult inequalities like $$ 1 \leq z \overline {z} \leq 4 , |\Im(z)|<\Re (z),$$ where ##z## is a complex number.

I would be glad at any recommendations.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

what course are you taking where you find these inequalities? Complex analysis?

4. Nov 22, 2014 #3
    that looks like the kinds of problems you would do when first learning about complex numbers. the first one involves an identity with the modulus, and the second one looks almost self-explatory. just try a few examples where it's true & I think it will become clear. I don't think you need a whole book on inequalities if you're doing complex analysis & those are the problems you have. just apply what you know about complex numbers to find the regions where they're true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted