1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook for Wave Motion

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1

vpv

Hi, I was just wondering if someone can suggest an undergrad textbook which will help me understand SHM, Wave motion, interference and superposition, both mathematically and conceptually. I am having a hard time in my first year second semester course which is focused only on the topics listed above. Also how is Serway/Jewett? Is Resnick/Halladay better for the above topics? Any other suggestions are most welcome.
    Thank you.

Edit: Book suggestions are welcome for both geometrical optics and physical optics.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    Resnick/Halladay is good. Reading concepts wouldn't help, go towards solving as many problems as possible.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3

vpv

Of course that's what I want to do. But does Resnick and Halladay have a decent set of problems? I have 3000 Solved problems in physics but some of the questions are not related what I've learned..

5. Feb 26, 2010 #4
    i like introduction to wave phenomenon by hirose and long for a first course in waves. their treatment of fourier analysis is meh, but everyone does that differently. optics by hecht is the de facto standard for its namesake.

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    I strongly recommend the book in the Berkeley series by Crawford. It has an excellent exposition of topics, coupled with home-experiments and good problems. As A.P. French put it, the book is a real "Tour de force".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook