1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook help, progression.

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    Hello Physicsforums,

Some of you may know me from my previous thread "how to thrive at an early age" and I have made much progress. Techniques of integration, differentiation, Newtonian dynamics, functions and limits, energy physics. I am also working on a system of trying to theoretically develop an orbit using the real values of the earth's mass, sun's mass, and the gravitational constant. Updating acceleration, velocity, x and y positions, for each time delta of one day. And using vectors, force equations, and equations to update the x and y comps of : position, velocity, and acceleration. Thank you for the advice.

My birthday is coming up, and I am looking at getting some new textbooks. I have University Physics 13th Addition with Modern Physics, and Calculus 4th edition by Spivak. I was interested in getting a DE's textbook, linear algebra textbook, or maybe a trig textbook might be helpful. Suggestions are pleased.

Thanks,
    Alex.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    hi there. for DE you might have heard of boyce and diprima. while it is not the most rigorous book, it does give you a pretty good grounding in the techniques for solving DEs. if you do want a treatment that focuses more on understanding then i suggest vladimir arnold's ordinary differential equations. although i have not read arnold's book, i heard it provides a great exposition on the theoretical aspects of DE. to fully understand it, you may need to be acquainted with some analysis and modern algebra.

for linear algebra, i have heard that axler's linear algebra done right is a good choice. hoffman and kunze is also a standard pick although it may be a bit dry. both are formal and rigorous in their presentation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook