Textbook not clear explain this question(s)

In summary, the limit exists for (Limit as x aproaches infinity ==> (n+1)/(n+1)), and the value of it is 0.
viet_jon
[SOLVED] Textbook not clear... please help explain this question(s)...

Question 1.

Homework Statement

State whether the limit exists for (Limit as x aproaches infinity ==> (n+1)/(n+1)

and give the value of it if it does exist. Graph the first 5 terms of each sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

if you use any number for "n", numerator divided by denominator would equal 1.

Question 2:

Homework Statement

The sequence a1, a2, a3 ... has the following possible nth terms. For the case given below try various large values for n and guess the limit. Confirm that guess by manipulating the general term an.

a(n) = (n+1) / (n^2+1)I'm taking a intro Calc class, so this is probably easy stuff for you guys, that's why I lumped both questions into one thread. Anhow, I'm not looking for an answer since it's in my book, I just want to know what the question is asking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
and... where's that thread that explains how to use syntax.edit: nm, I just found it...latex not syntax lol

So what's your question? Did you follow the suggestion and substitute various values of n? What's your guess of the limit?

question 1: limit equals 1?

question 2:

answer:

an = n + 1 / n^2 + 1

possible answers: 11/101, 101/10001, 1001/1000001 appears to have limit of zero?

but how does it have limit of zero?

Yep. Can you prove it? Divide numerator and denominator by n.

viet_jon said:
question 2:

answer:

an = n + 1 / n^2 + 1

possible answers: 11/101, 101/10001, 1001/1000001 appears to have limit of zero?

but how does it have limit of zero?

Same answer, yes. Can you prove it? Divide numerator and denominator by n^2.

oh wait...question 2's answer is from the book, not mine.

I attempted it the same way.....exceptwhat I don't understand is how it has a limit of zero?

Ok, divide numerator and denominator of 2) by n^2. This gives you (1/n+1/n^2)/(1+1/n^2), right? What's the limit of 1/n and 1/n^2?

wait...

the question is (n + 1) / (n^2 +1)

so divide num/denom by n^2 it should be(n/n^2) + (1/n^2) / (n^2/n^2) + (1/n^2) right?then it goes

(1/n) + (1/n^2) / 1 + (1/n^2)

then it goes, which is the step I don't understand...(0+0) / (1 + 0) = 0/1 = 0where are all these zero's coming from?

The limit of 1/n as n goes to infinity is zero. Likewise for 1/n^2. The numerator is 1 and the denominator gets larger and larger.

1. What should I do if I don't understand a question in my textbook?

If a question in your textbook is not clear, the first step you should take is to read the question multiple times and try to break it down into smaller parts. This can help you identify which specific part of the question you are having trouble understanding.

2. Can I ask my teacher or professor for help if the textbook is not clear?

Yes, you should always feel comfortable asking for help if you are struggling to understand a question in your textbook. Your teacher or professor is there to support you and can provide clarification or additional resources to help you understand the question.

3. Is it okay to skip a question if the textbook is not clear?

It is not recommended to skip a question if you do not understand it. Instead, try to approach the question from a different angle or seek help from your teacher or classmates. Skipping a question can lead to gaps in your understanding and may affect your overall comprehension of the topic.

4. How can I improve my understanding of a question if the textbook is not clear?

One way to improve your understanding of a question is to look for additional resources or examples online. You can also try discussing the question with a classmate or seeking help from a tutor. By approaching the question from different perspectives, you may gain a better understanding of it.

5. Should I reach out to the textbook author if a question is not clear?

It is not common to reach out to the textbook author for help with a specific question. However, if you continue to encounter multiple unclear questions, it may be helpful to provide feedback to the author or publisher so they can improve the clarity of the textbook for future editions.