1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook Question

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    I have found an old physics text entitled "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" written by Borowitz & Bornstein, published by McGraw-Hill book company. I was curious about using this book concurrently with the physics texts required in: 4A. Mechanics; 4B. Mechanics, Fluids, Waves and Heat; 4C. Electricity and Magnetism; 4D. Electromagnetic Waves, Optics and Special Relativity; and 4E. Quantum Physics.

I can't find a link or really anything relevant to the textbook. I have searched through google, amazon and various other websites (including the publisher) but I have found no descriptions.

Also, any other books that one might recommend for use in conjunction with the required texts, would be very appreciated.

Thanks homies!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2
  4. Jan 17, 2007 #3
    'sup homey

try searching abebooks.com
  5. Jan 17, 2007 #4
    That book is very old. If I remember correctly it was published in the early 70's late 60's. I would advise you to pick a more modern book, but as to what book, I have no clue.
  6. Jan 17, 2007 #5
    The only reason that I had considered it was because it tries to formulate a broad understanding of how all of these seemingly 'different' areas of physics, unify or atleast interact. It assumes knowledge of algebra, trig, geometry and basic analytic geometry and then builds the maths around the concepts as you progress -- the only thing that I am not sure about is how rigorous the text is in proofs or if that is even necessary through my first physics sequence?
  7. Jan 17, 2007 #6
    The subjects listed haven't changed much since the 1930s, so a more recent book is not absolutely necessary. A lot of excellent books were written in the 1960s. Another one to look for from the same era is Sherwin, Basic Concepts of Physics, which covers mechanics, relativity, electromagnetism, QM, and stat mech.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  8. Jan 17, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

I have no experience in physics but I have noticed in other areas like logic or computer programming that reading an older book can be enlightening especially if the notation is different, because seeing multiple notations helps one to see beyond the formalisms.
  9. Jan 17, 2007 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

DAMMIT! You just reminded me that I forgot to buy my textbooks.
  10. Feb 12, 2007 #9
    Young and Freedman, University Physics is known to my peers and I as the 'White Bible' . Covers everything. Gorgeous
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?