Finding Reading Notes for Textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of reading notes from other students to better understand textbook material. The speaker mentions examples of notes by Zhong-Zhi Xianyu and a link to John Baez's book "Gauge Fields and Knots". They also express difficulty in finding good notes and ask for recommendations. The conversation ends with a request for links to notes for popular textbooks such as Peskin-Schröder, Jackson, and Goldstein.
jakob1111
Gold Member
Often when I read a chapter in a textbook and don't understand something, I find "reading notes" by other students extremely helpful.

Oftentimes in these notes other readers have simply written down summaries of the sections in their own words. These descriptions of the "same thing" in different words helps me fill in the gaps and clarify the things that confused me.

As an example, have a look at the notes by Zhong-Zhi Xianyu or the http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/yang_mills.pdf for John Baez' book "Gauge Fields and Knots".

Unfortunately it's not always easy to find good notes.

Thus, my question: Do you know any great reading notes? They don't have to be about a complete textbook. Summaries/notes on specific sections would also be great.

If yes, please post a link to them here. Notes for popular textbooks like Peskin-Schröder, Jackson, Goldstein, etc. would be awesome. So far, I wasn't able to find any.

Likes Frimus, Demystifier and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any specific subjects in mind ?

Likes jakob1111
Buffu said:
Do you have any specific subjects in mind ?
Nothing specific. I would just like to see if there exist other reading notes that I haven't found so far. (Preferably on popular textbooks like Goldstein, Jackson, etc.)

1. How can I find reading notes for my textbook?

One way to find reading notes for your textbook is to check the publisher's website or the author's website. Many textbooks have accompanying study materials, including reading notes, that can be accessed online. You can also try searching for the textbook title along with the keyword "reading notes" on a search engine.

2. Are there any websites that provide reading notes for textbooks?

Yes, there are several websites that provide reading notes for textbooks. Some popular options include SparkNotes, Shmoop, and CliffsNotes. However, it's important to note that these notes may not always align with your specific textbook, so it's best to double-check the information with your own textbook.

3. Can I find reading notes for my textbook on online forums or discussion boards?

It's possible to find reading notes for your textbook on online forums or discussion boards, but it's not always reliable. These notes are often created by other students and may not be accurate or comprehensive. It's best to use these as a supplement to your own notes or the official reading notes provided by the publisher or author.

4. Are there any apps that provide reading notes for textbooks?

Yes, there are some apps that provide reading notes for textbooks. One example is the "LectureNotes" app, which allows students to upload and share their own lecture and reading notes for various textbooks. Another option is the "StudyBlue" app, which offers a variety of study materials, including reading notes, for different textbooks.

5. How can I make sure the reading notes I find are accurate and reliable?

The best way to ensure the accuracy and reliability of reading notes is to compare them with your own notes and the textbook itself. If possible, try to use reading notes provided by the publisher or author, as these are more likely to be accurate. It's also a good idea to cross-reference multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the material.