What are the best textbooks for learning about ODEs and related topics?

In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for textbooks on ODEs. Some suggestions mentioned were "Higher Mathematics" by I.V. Smirnov for first and second order ODEs, "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by Boyce and DiPrima, "Differential Equations" by Blanchard, Devaney and Hall, "Rea's differential equations problem solver," and "Tenenbaum and Pollard" published by Dover. One person highly recommended Arnold as the best option.
Benny
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for textbooks which cover the basics of ODEs. I'm looking for books which cover first and second order ODEs and related topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Things are nicely done (the level of exposure is not too difficult) in I.V.Smirnov "Higher Mathematics",VOL I and you may also check volume II.

Daniel.

Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Boyce and DiPrima.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into them.

Differential Equations by Blanchard, Devaney and Hall is a really popular one.

I highly recommend, in addition to a decent textbook, Rea's differential equations problem solver.

There's also the Tenenbaum and Pollard book published by Dover. Relatively cheap.

Arnold is the best:

Last edited by a moderator:

What are some recommended textbooks for learning Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs)?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for learning ODEs include: "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems" by Dennis G. Zill and Warren S. Wright, and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard.

What is the best textbook for self-study of ODEs?

The best textbook for self-study of ODEs will depend on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. However, some popular options for self-study include "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard and "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George F. Simmons.

Are there any online resources or open-source textbooks for ODEs?

Yes, there are many online resources and open-source textbooks available for learning ODEs. Some popular options include "Differential Equations for Engineers" by J. Michael Kelley, "A First Course in Ordinary Differential Equations" by Martin Hermann, and "Ordinary Differential Equations: A Systems Approach" by Bruce P. Conrad.

What are some important considerations when choosing a textbook for ODEs?

When choosing a textbook for ODEs, it is important to consider the level of mathematical rigor, the teaching style of the author, and the level of difficulty. It is also helpful to read reviews and get recommendations from others who have studied ODEs.

Are there any supplemental materials or resources that can aid in understanding ODEs?

Yes, there are many supplemental materials and resources that can aid in understanding ODEs. Some options include lecture notes, practice problems with solutions, and online tutorials or videos. It can also be helpful to join study groups or seek help from a tutor or professor.