1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbook to replace Morin

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    I'm currently in a mechanics course (second year) that uses the David Morin book (Introduction to Classical Mechanics) which I find to be very unhelpful. It's mostly just problems with very little explanation of the concepts. I'm looking for a textbook to replace Morin's which covers the same topics:

Statics
    Dynamics (especially Atwood's machines)
    Rotational Dynamics
    Work and Energy
    Momentum
    Special Relativity

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The standard books for a second year mechanics course, from what I've seen at most university catalogs, are Taylor and\or Marion. Taylor explains things very well but I would definitely not stop using Morin as a supplement. Morin's harder problems can be extremely rewarding unlike the majority of problems in Taylor which are breezy. You can learn the concepts from Taylor but do the problems in Morin. If you want a mechanics book that explains things extremely well and has difficult problems but doesn't cover certain things from a second year such as lagrangian or hamiltonian mechanics (it covers everything you listed however) then check out Kleppner. Kleppner is such a good book I can't stress it enough.

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook