Looking for a Better Mechanics Textbook? Any Suggestions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a better textbook for a second year mechanics course. The David Morin book is deemed unhelpful and a suggestion is made for Taylor or Marion as standard options. However, it is also recommended to continue using Morin as a supplement for challenging problems. Other options mentioned are Kleppner, which is highly praised for its clear explanations and difficult problems, and Greiner, which covers all the topics listed but does not include lagrangian or hamiltonian mechanics.
Uranium235
I'm currently in a mechanics course (second year) that uses the David Morin book (Introduction to Classical Mechanics) which I find to be very unhelpful. It's mostly just problems with very little explanation of the concepts. I'm looking for a textbook to replace Morin's which covers the same topics:

Statics
Dynamics (especially Atwood's machines)
Rotational Dynamics
Work and Energy
Momentum
Special Relativity

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard books for a second year mechanics course, from what I've seen at most university catalogs, are Taylor and\or Marion. Taylor explains things very well but I would definitely not stop using Morin as a supplement. Morin's harder problems can be extremely rewarding unlike the majority of problems in Taylor which are breezy. You can learn the concepts from Taylor but do the problems in Morin. If you want a mechanics book that explains things extremely well and has difficult problems but doesn't cover certain things from a second year such as lagrangian or hamiltonian mechanics (it covers everything you listed however) then check out Kleppner. Kleppner is such a good book I can't stress it enough.

Likes Nulliusinverba

1. What are the key differences between "Textbook" and "Morin"?

The main difference between "Textbook" and "Morin" is the authorship. While "Morin" was written by David Morin, "Textbook" was written by a team of scientists and educators, offering a more diverse and comprehensive perspective on the subject.

2. Is "Textbook" suitable for all levels of scientific knowledge?

Yes, "Textbook" is designed to be accessible for both beginners and more advanced scientists. It includes clear explanations and examples for fundamental concepts, as well as more in-depth discussions for advanced topics.

3. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for "Textbook"?

Yes, "Textbook" has a dedicated website with additional resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and video tutorials. These resources are regularly updated and can be accessed for free.

4. How does "Textbook" address current scientific developments and advancements?

"Textbook" is regularly updated to include the latest scientific discoveries and advancements in the field. The authors are actively involved in scientific research and ensure that the textbook reflects the most current and relevant information.

5. Can "Textbook" be used as a standalone resource for self-study?

Yes, "Textbook" can be used as a standalone resource for self-study. It is designed to be self-contained, with clear explanations and examples, making it suitable for independent learning. However, it is also commonly used as a textbook in academic settings.