• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Studying Textbook VS Lecture Notes

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
I don't see the point of this question, mainly because whatever works for you works for you. It's your education- do what you need to (or don't do what you don't need to) in order to earn a good grade.
This. The question is indeed quite.. pointless.

mathwonk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Skrew, I am curious, how do you know which textbooks to use? Do you take the professor's recommendation? If so, why?

I was wondering if there is any compelling reason to read the assigned book instead of lecture notes either from the actually professor of the course you are taking or from another another source online as opposed to the book if they seem to cover the same material.
Yes. Having someone explain something to you in a different way can be useful. Now this is course/professor dependent. If you find that you aren't learning anything by reading either the textbook or the lecture notes, you aren't morally obligated to do it.

However, I've found it useful to just start out the course by reading both, and of reading something becomes useless, then you have just have the book store buy back the textbook. On the other hand, I've had courses in which the professor was useless, and the only way that I got through it was because the textbook was very well written.

google "peer instruction", and "eric mazur". he is a harvard professor of physics. the thing that surprised him was that even his highly motivated bright students were not really learning diddly from hie lectures.
MIT has also moved the intro physics courses to something like this format. One reason for doing it was that it was how the students were learning anyway.

And yes, it does require extremely motivated students.