• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Textbooks For Fourth Year

• Thread starter CMJ96
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,
I will be starting the 4th year of my Mphys soon, and I'd like to get a little bit of a head start on the topics that are going to be taught, can anyone recommend me any decent textbooks for the following modules? (I will insert images of the syllabus for each module if that helps)
1. Quantum Fluids
x60Y2VF.png

2. Applied Solid State Physics
hHLL2W6.png

3. Quantum Information and Technology
hx9Qs03.png

4. Quantum Modelling Of Solids, Molecules and Nanostructures
Js192E3.png

5. General Relativity
bGG7rcW.png

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, as I do not know who will be teaching these modules yet so I cannot get any help from them.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

For General Relativity, there's these books:

A Zee: Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell

This book is considered very hard. I've heard people often get bogged down after the first ten pages or so beware as here there be dragons.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/069114558X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Wheeler, Misner, Thorne: Gravitation (republished 2017 following the Interstellar movie)

Kip Thorne said in the republished preface that the first 22 chapters are still valid for today's General Relativity course, later chapters of GR applications and extensions to cosmology are dated and he hopes to rewrite them someday.

You can read the 2017 preface on Amazon to see if the topics you're interested are still good or not. This is a classic book and very weighty (no really its heavy).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691177791/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A Zee has a book on Quantum Field Theory too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691140340/?tag=pfamazon01-20

but I can't comment on it. Perhaps you can check it out and look at some of the comments.

Thanks for the suggestions! Einstein Gravity in a nutshell does look pretty intense! Interesting though :)

Can anyone recommend any books for the other modules? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Perhaps you can find other books by finding what books the course requires and then using amazon to check prices. Amazon will show other books that folks have pfiously bought that are related to the course books and of course you get some book reviews to consider too to help you decide.

Perhaps you can find other books by finding what books the course requires and then using amazon to check prices. Amazon will show other books that folks have pfiously bought that are related to the course books and of course you get some book reviews to consider too to help you decide.
Unfortunately, because I'm in the first year of Physics students at my university, the course isn't fully organised yet, so we haven't been given any information such as books or any information regarding what members of staff are teaching it so I can't access anything like that

Unfortunately, because I'm in the first year of Physics students at my university, the course isn't fully organised yet, so we haven't been given any information such as books or any information regarding what members of staff are teaching it so I can't access anything like that
Someone in the Physics Department must know who's teaching it and from there the books, right?