1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Textbooks for Self-Study

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    Hello.

I am a high school student wishing to self study physics. I am just seeking some advice on the textbooks that I should use for both physics and the accompanying mathematics. For calculus, I already have some background knowledge based on previous readings of Stewart's book, but I would like to study calculus thoroughly this time. What textbook should I use? As for physics, it is a similar situation with regards to the background knowledge. Should I start with a general calculus-based textbook such as Halliday and Resnick or University Physics? And if so, which one should I use?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thomas, Calculus and Plane Geometry (or something like that) is a classic text. I learned from the 2nd edition and let my kids use it as a supplement when they studied calc--no complaints. You can therefore save yourself some money by buying a used copy of an early edition (after all calculus hasn't changed much!)

I think Halliday and Resnick is a better book than Sears and Zemansky's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook