What are the best textbooks for learning Fourier analysis and its applications?

In summary, the speaker is a third year university physics major who has been introduced to Fourier analysis through an oscillations and waves class. They are seeking a text on the topic that applies it to different areas such as physics and business. The speaker also asks for other book recommendations and mentions their current favorite on Fourier analysis. They note that the recommended book is a math book and may not cover applications extensively.
dcrisci
Hello all, I'm a third year university physics major. I haven't read much on Fourier analysis however I have had been introduced to it through an oscillations and waves class. My professor was saying that it can be applied to many different areas and is extremely helpful tool to have under your belt for many reasons. Since I have been introduced to Fourier integrals and transforms and what they mean in terms of oscillations, I am seeking an introductory to slightly advanced text to buy on the topic. Could anyone recommend a specific text for Fourier analysis that applies it to many areas, such as physics, business, etc?

More or less looking to get a good summer reader, so I can keep the brain cells working. Any other suggestions on books that are worth reading (not only
On Fourier analysis) that will help me out in the future would be taken into account too! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
My all-time favorite on Fourier analysis is

M. J. Lighthill, Introduction to Fourier Analysis and Generalised Functions, Cam. Uni. Press (1959)

I really like https://www.amazon.com/dp/0821847902/?tag=pfamazon01-20 which I'm currently using for self study (and I will take a class in it using the book next year).
It is however a math book and not a book on applications and it mostly covers the aspects relevant to physics and engineering so it may not be what you looking for but definitively check it out!
All you need for it is calculus & linear algebra (at the level of linear algebra done wrong). Some of the later chapters also use some concepts from complex analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal (such as a function or a time series) into its constituent frequencies. It is often used in signal processing, image processing, and other fields to analyze and understand the frequency components of a given signal.

2. Why is Fourier analysis important?

Fourier analysis is important because it allows us to break down complex signals into simpler components, making it easier to understand and analyze them. It also has a wide range of applications, from audio and image processing to data compression and solving differential equations.

3. What is the difference between Fourier series and Fourier transform?

A Fourier series is used to represent a periodic signal as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions, while a Fourier transform is used to analyze signals that are not necessarily periodic. The Fourier transform gives a continuous spectrum of the frequency components of a signal, while the Fourier series gives a discrete spectrum.

4. What are some practical applications of Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis has numerous practical applications, including signal processing, image and audio compression, solving differential equations, and filtering out noise in data. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to analyze and understand complex phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to Fourier analysis?

While Fourier analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the signal being analyzed is stationary (constant over time), and it may not work well with signals that have sharp discontinuities. Additionally, it may not be suitable for analyzing non-linear or time-varying signals.