What are the Best Physics Textbooks According to Personal Experiences?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the conversation is about recommended physics textbooks and the experiences of the participants with different books. The books mentioned include "Classical Dynamics" by Thornton and Marion, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas, and "Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Krane. Some participants had positive experiences with these books while others did not. They also mention other books they have used or heard of. The overall consensus is that "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas are highly recommended.
Moneer81
hey guys,

I would like you to tell me about your experiences with certain physics textbooks and point out any books that you think are worth owning. When I took classical mechanics, my professor used "Classical dynamics" by Thornton and Marion, which was ok but not that good. This year he told me about the new book on Mechanics, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. I bought the book and let me tell you, it was the best $85 I spent! it is clear and takes you step by step and doesn't assume that you have a PhD in physics ...

For electrodynamics, the book we used at school was Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" and I didn't like it very much but I heard it is one of the least complicated books about that subject.

For modern physics, I've seen Tipler's book and another one by Thornton, but I didn't really like them very much.

If you know of any good books on those subjects, books that are elaborate, easy to understand and clear with lots of examples, then let me know.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly recommend "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas. Of all these math methods books I think this one has the best balance between reference and Pedagogy.

I think Grifiths is a great introduction to electrodynamics, but it does lack in examples. I used Lorrain and Corson which was pretty good, lost of good problems, but less easy to understand then Grifiths.

For math methods : I like Arfken & Weber. At a slightly lower level, I think Spiegel does a good job.

Moneer81 said:
For electrodynamics, the book we used at school was Griffiths' "Introduction to Electrodynamics" and I didn't like it very much but I heard it is one of the least complicated books about that subject.
Thanks.

I think Halliday Resnick & Krane "Physics" 5 ed is even simpler, and contains more examples than Griffiths.

Moneer81 said:
"Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

Interesting.

Crosson said:
I strongly recommend "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas. Of all these math methods books I think this one has the best balance between reference and Pedagogy.

Strongly agree on this book as well.

Moneer81 said:
For modern physics, I've seen Tipler's book and another one by Thornton, but I didn't really like them very much.

Tiplers / LLewellen's is not that good at all. I think the only reason my University uses it is because Dr. Llewellen is the head of the Physics Department. :biggrin:

1. What are the best physics textbooks for beginners?

There are several great options for beginners, including "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and the level of depth you are looking for in a textbook.

2. Do I need to purchase the newest edition of a physics textbook?

It is generally recommended to purchase the newest edition of a textbook, as it will likely have updated information and may include newer technologies and concepts. However, if you are on a budget, an older edition can still be useful for learning the fundamentals of physics.

3. Are there any free online resources for physics textbooks?

Yes, there are several websites that offer free online access to physics textbooks, such as OpenStax, Project Gutenberg, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources can be a great supplement to a physical textbook or can be used as the main source of learning.

4. What are the key features to look for in a good physics textbook?

A good physics textbook should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems, and a variety of examples to help reinforce concepts. It should also have a good balance of theoretical concepts and real-world applications.

5. Can I use a physics textbook from a different level or publisher?

While it is generally recommended to use a textbook that aligns with your course level and curriculum, you can still use a different textbook as a supplement or for additional practice. However, be sure to check with your instructor to ensure that the information covered is relevant to your course.