Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Texting, Driving, and Darwin

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1

TumblingDice

Gold Member

From the Detroit Free Press today:
    Adults should know better. Teenagers need experience. We need to keep reminding everyone.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Seen on a bumper sticker:

Honk if you love Jesus.
    Text if you want to meet him.

4. Oct 20, 2014 #3
    I'm guilty of this on an empty road, but it's still a very very stupid thing to do. Many young people have been killed or seriously injured due to being distracted by cell phones.

I don't know how people wouldn't be aware of the dangers though - it's essentially equally as dangerous as driving with your eyes closed.

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't think of texting while driving - how can anyone justify the risk?

6. Oct 20, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There IS no risk for teenagers. They are immortal. Until they aren't.

7. Oct 20, 2014 #6
  8. Oct 20, 2014 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

9. Oct 22, 2014 #8

Borg

Gold Member

I have been wanting to get a dash cam for my car to record the many people that I witness weaving all over the road while texting or even just talking on their phones. Unfortunately, I don't think that it would take long to get some great videos.

10. Oct 22, 2014 #9
    This is a pointless statement that old boomers like to make. The reality is that adults are just as dumb and careless as teenagers. More so in many cases.

11. Oct 22, 2014 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Gee, I wonder why insurance companies charge teens so much more than adults?

12. Oct 22, 2014 #11
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. Oct 22, 2014 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I wonder if that poll asked the right question? Was it strictly about text messaging or did it include social media?

Also, carelessness and experience are not completely separate things, but regardless, carelessness really is higher for kids than adults. It's basically a self-evident reality.

14. Oct 22, 2014 #13
    You know what the problem is? When I drive I get all kinds of calls and SMSs. If I don't reply when the people see me they are all offensive and say: "What the hell is wrong with you, why don't you answer the phone?!!"

You tell them that you were driving, but it matters not to them. You have to answer and get yourself killed (along with the old lady, the dog, and the innocent kids) so that they like you (which I don't do).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  15. Oct 22, 2014 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[shrug] They'll live. You might not.

16. Oct 22, 2014 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know about any of the rest of you, but where I live it's illegal to talk, let alone text, on the phone while in motion. The specific charge is "distracted driving", which carries the same implications and penalties as "impaired driving". It applies also to eating, putting on makeup, or anything else that potentially takes the driver's attention away from controlling the vehicle.
    Incidentally, a new study has just shown that a hands-free cell is actually more distracting to a driver than one which you have to hold.

17. Oct 25, 2014 #16

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. Oct 25, 2014 #17

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The "Darwin" aspect hasn't been addressed yet. The argument that we could let Evolution eliminate drivers who text (or motorcyclists who don't wear helmets etc.) isn't valid. There might not be a gene or combination of genes that determines the specific behavior of texting while driving. For example, texting while driving might be due to genes that control "risk taking behavior" and that behavior also has some positive contribution to surviving.

19. Oct 25, 2014 #18

Danger

Gold Member

True, and like impaired driving, this behaviour has a nasty habit of eliminating members of the same species while leaving the perpetrator alive.

20. Oct 25, 2014 #19
    Well, not to mention the fact that those driving while texting could also be eliminating those who aren't. If they were only hurting themselves, then life would be great. But life isn't great.

21. Oct 26, 2014 #20

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah that is the problem .... They can also take out innocents

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook