TexWorks vs. TexShop: Creating LaTex Documents for Beginners

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter wil3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone having trouble creating a LaTex document in either of two programs and asking for help in starting a document. They specifically do not want to be directed to a tutorial and ask for recommendations on which program to use for creating PDFs. They are advised to provide more information about the errors they are getting and are recommended to use pdflatex for creating PDFs.
wil3
Hello, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but I cannot for the life of me seem to make a LaTex document in either of these programs. I use the standard heading codes (document class, etc) and hit the render buttons, and get absurd errors. Can someone who uses either talk me through, in baby steps, how they start a document in either one?

Please don't direct me to some LaTex tutorial like everyone else. I know the code, but I don't know the specific programs.

Also, is pdfTex or LaTex recommended? I plan on using this to make pdfs of my undergraduate problem sets, primarily.

Thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you can just install them, type up a document, and it should work.
If it doesn't, then something is wrong. To help you find what, you're going to have to give us some more information. Posting the absurd errors you get might be a good start :-)

If you want to make PDF, I would use pdflatex. It creates a PDF directly, whereas latex creates a DVI file (which you can convert to PS, which you can convert to PDF; probably losing some fonts and image quality along the way).

1. What is TexWorks/TexShop?

TexWorks and TexShop are two popular text editing software programs used for creating and editing documents in the LaTeX markup language. They are commonly used by scientists, researchers, and mathematicians for writing technical documents and equations.

2. What is the difference between TexWorks and TexShop?

The main difference between TexWorks and TexShop is the operating system they are compatible with. TexWorks is primarily used on Windows and Linux systems, while TexShop is designed for Mac systems. Additionally, TexShop has a more user-friendly interface, while TexWorks offers more advanced features and customization options.

3. Is TexWorks/TexShop free to use?

Yes, both TexWorks and TexShop are free and open-source software. They can be downloaded and installed on your computer for no cost.

4. Can I create equations and mathematical symbols in TexWorks/TexShop?

Yes, both TexWorks and TexShop have built-in features for creating equations and mathematical symbols using the LaTeX markup language. This is one of the main reasons why they are popular among scientists and mathematicians.

5. Can I collaborate with others using TexWorks/TexShop?

Yes, both TexWorks and TexShop allow for collaboration on documents with multiple users. This can be done through version control systems or by sharing files through email or cloud storage. However, it is important to note that both users must have the software installed and be familiar with LaTeX markup language.