Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TFT Screen Recommendation?

1. May 26, 2004 #1
    My current monitor is giving me headaches so I've decided to buy myself a 17" TFT Monitor.

I'm not interested in built-in speakers.

What make/models does everyone recommend, and can anyone give me some links to decent sites with good deals?

These prices seem pretty keen: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd17.html

Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2004 #2
    *off topic*
    Ouch, the Value Added Tax is 17.5% !
  4. May 26, 2004 #3
    17.5 % is very, very high, I'm glad I don't live in the UK.

As for flat panels, I would recommend anything by NEC, Sony, Samsung and Viewsonic. Sony makes one of the best computer monitors out there as well as Samsung.

Just found this link: Hot Deals
    Last edited: May 26, 2004
  5. Jun 5, 2004 #4
    I use a flat panel ViewSonic monitor and it's great.

A lot of graphic pros use Viewsonic.
  6. Jun 13, 2004 #5
    I still prefer CRT monitor, the color and resolution are better.
  7. Aug 8, 2004 #6
    The thing that really annoys me about LCD monitors is that all the 17" and 19" monitors come in 5:4 ratio? Why? I have no clue. When every CRT monitor is 4:3, when every 15" and 21" LCD monitor is 4:3, when every standard TV is 4:3. Due to this I refuse to get a 17" and 19" monitor until they decide to produce 4:3 ratio monitors.

Another thing that I dislike about LCD is the slow response time. Current LCD monitors have a response time of 25 mm. Giving a maximum frame rate of 40. What's the point of me having a $500 video card that's pumping 250 fps if my monitor can only show 40? As I'm a big PC game fanatic, this is important.

What I do like about LCD monitors though is that there is no glare. A huge advantage if you're next to a sunny window or lots of artificial lighting. The more obvious advantage of course is weight.
  8. Aug 8, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus

Your eye can't even hande 250 fps and most people who play Doom 3 will get 40 fps.
  9. Aug 8, 2004 #8
    That's true. But your eyes can tell the difference between 40 and 100 fps I assure you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?