Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thank goodness

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    Thank goodness....

...PF has taught me how to sniff out a crackpot. I was wondering about the strong nuclear force and how it worked and stuff and I thought I should do some research before I posted another incredibly open-ended question here :rolleyes: so I googled "strong nuclear force explained" and this is the only thing that came up: www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/File026.html. This was my favourite part
    I love that perhaps! :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The decay of the neutron is called "beta decay," and it's products are indeed a proton, an electron, and an electron anti-neutrino. You're right though, there's no "perhaps" about it -- it's always there.

- Warren

4. May 15, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Not exactly.

A free neutron will decay into a proton, electron (beta particle) and electron-associated anti-neutrino. The statement about emitted is awkward.

A neutron inside an atomic nucleus is usually stable, unless there is an excess of neutrons. If beta-decay does occur, the neutron decays to a proton, but it does not produce a hydrogen atom. The charge on the nucleus will increase by 1.

5. May 15, 2005 #4
    In the article he's trying to say that the hydrogen atom is the most elementary of all particles and that's his example. It cracked me up. It's like 'beta decay = 1 elecron + 1 proton = Hydrogen oh yeah, and that other thing, but lets forget about that, it's not important and it ruins my theory'

6. May 15, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

icvotria,

Now -that's- crackpottery. :smile:

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?