1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thank goodness

1. May 15, 2005 #1
    Thank goodness....

...PF has taught me how to sniff out a crackpot. I was wondering about the strong nuclear force and how it worked and stuff and I thought I should do some research before I posted another incredibly open-ended question here :rolleyes: so I googled "strong nuclear force explained" and this is the only thing that came up: www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/File026.html. This was my favourite part
    I love that perhaps! :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The decay of the neutron is called "beta decay," and it's products are indeed a proton, an electron, and an electron anti-neutrino. You're right though, there's no "perhaps" about it -- it's always there.

- Warren

4. May 15, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Not exactly.

A free neutron will decay into a proton, electron (beta particle) and electron-associated anti-neutrino. The statement about emitted is awkward.

A neutron inside an atomic nucleus is usually stable, unless there is an excess of neutrons. If beta-decay does occur, the neutron decays to a proton, but it does not produce a hydrogen atom. The charge on the nucleus will increase by 1.

5. May 15, 2005 #4
    In the article he's trying to say that the hydrogen atom is the most elementary of all particles and that's his example. It cracked me up. It's like 'beta decay = 1 elecron + 1 proton = Hydrogen oh yeah, and that other thing, but lets forget about that, it's not important and it ruins my theory'

6. May 15, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

icvotria,

Now -that's- crackpottery. :smile:

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?