Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thank you

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Oops, I have a problem with my English. Not that I am surprised.

In order to promote my programs I have sent an offer to a selected group of educators, stating "I am offering you free registration of my programs, please answer if you are interested". Some simply ignored, some answered "I am interested" but right now I have received answer that I am not sure I understand.

Ermm... "Thank you, yes I am interested", or "thank you for the offer, but I am not interested"? In Polish it IS ambigouos, I think I remember in English it is not - but I am not sure.

Could be that is just one of these nuances you can slip on.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks ! :rofl:

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Well - just 'thank you' is a bit ambiguous if the question has more than one part.

There are two parts to "I am offering you free registration of my programs, please answer if you are interested" - one is the offer, and the second is the condition of interest.

I'd take it as "thank you for the offer". There is no direct/explicit refusal, so the person would appear interested, otherwise neutral or disinterested.

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    I think a negative reply would usually be in the form "no thank you" or "no thanks".

Often we say "yes please" and right after we have received something, "thank you". Sometimes, as I have heard, people leave out the "yes please" and just say "thank you" to indicate that they would like to receive something. It's a bit hard to tell the difference in writing though. It has a tonal difference in my experience. If someone asks me, for example, "want a cup of tea?" I could answer positively by saying "thanks", "yes please",
    or "yes thanks". To answer negatively I would most probably add a "no" in there somewehre.

I would take this one as either being positive or that the mail you sent was not read correctly.

hope that helps.

6. Oct 3, 2008 #5

Borek

Thank you all :wink:

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since your message said to reply if interested, I would take replies as indicating interest.

8. Oct 3, 2008 #7
    even if their reply was "no I'm not interested"

9. Oct 3, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

There are all kinds of offer swarming around the internet, and lots of people are suspicious of them. Perhaps you could say "I am trying to promote the use of my programs, and in order to popularize them, I am offering them to you at no charge." "If you would like to be able to use and distribute these programs, please reply."

Just a suggestion. When I was writing applications in dBaseIII+, I didn't sell the programs. I gave the companies the programs and charged them for the time I spent customizing the programs to suit their businesses. At first, it was a wild-west show, and then FoxBase came out with a nice dB-compliant package that included a compiler. I could retain control of the source code and deliver the customers tight, fast-running apps.

10. Oct 3, 2008 #9

Borek

I have not directly quoted my letter here, just tried to outline the message. Basically it was a statement very close to what you propose.

I know that gets dangerously close to spam; but as these people are involved in chemistry promotion and teaching they seem to be the best target group of such offer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?