Thanks for the present, I almost lost my eye.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That explains it. tribdog must have all those colors, hence the "rainbow" effect. :rofl: That, or it was just the paint fumes involved and he was just seeing rainbows.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The finest cadmium red paint is made only from the purest cadmium sulfo‑selenide, C.I. Name: PR 108, C.I. Number: 77196, and not from cadmium‑barium sulfo‑selenide mixtures such as, PR 108, C.I. 77202, which contains 15 percent barium sulfate, or PR 108:1, C.I. 77202, which contains more than 15 percent barium sulfate. Such cadmium *barium mixtures fit into the professional grade because they tend to be weaker in intensity and the paint is more transparent, which is undesirable in a cadmium color. The movement toward better labeling, so far has met with limited results. The few manufacturers report color index names, such as PR 108 for cadmium red, on their tubes do not include the color index number, which would indicate the specific pigment. PR 108 can not only vary considerably in quality, but in color. PR 108 ranges from light red to deep purple.
from http://www.trueart.info/purity.htm

But 'cadmium red paint' may refer to a paint of a particluar shade of red, which meets the above standards, but may not necessarily have cadmium metal in it. IIRC, cadmium is/was used as a corrosion inhibitor, like tin coatings. It is used on some steel fasteners.