Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thanks for this forum

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    I just wanted to quickly express my appreciation for this forum and the people in it. It can be pretty intimidating to a non-professional to ask what may be thought of as a naive or simple question in a forum full of professionals and advanced students, but I have found that most folks here are very tolerant and respectful. There really is no other venue that I have found that offers this kind of accessibility to an interested layperson and offers answers that are actually accurate and meaningful. I may never be able to contribute technically, but hopefully some of my questions can contribute indirectly through dialog.

I read quite a bit and sometimes get into a book or article which is a little or a lot over my head. Usually, I can get through it by internet searches and such, but when that fails, there is always PF and for that I am grateful.

And, boy some of the discussions are really entertaining!

Ron

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

drizzle

Gold Member

that’s nice, it’s a really good forum, especially GD :tongue:

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I think that almost all of us who aren't professional scientists or teachers feel the same way. People here go out of their way to try to adapt to the educational level of the person asking the question. Bear in mind, as well, that there's no such thing as a stupid question as long as the inquirer really wants an answer (ie: sarcastic or stubbornly crackpot questions aren't taken seriously). The professionals here are capable of communicating with a 10-year-old on a level that s/he can understand, or lay it on heavy for a PhD candidate.
    There's also a built-in 'peer review' function. Not all professionals agree on all things, so some good discussions arise from the varying viewpoints.
    I'm the farthest thing that you can get from a professional, and yet even I have managed to help a couple of people out over the years. I've also typed some incredibly stupid things, through either ignorance or being drunk (usually both), but they're always corrected by others who know more.
    All in all, PF is a tremendous benefit to education and personal connectivity around the world. If I weren't an Atheist, I'd nominate Greg for sainthood.

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    I think this is mostly thanks to the awesome moderating team here ***hats get the boot really quickly and any rule breaking (especially ones that lead to misunderstanding for a person, like crackpot theories etc.) gets dealt with almost immediately. Trust me I know :)

<33 PF

I second the if I wasn't Atheist I would nominate Greg for sainthood :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  6. Aug 10, 2009 #5
    See that? Lightening fast this thread was moved to another board :D

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    I'm an atheist and I nominate Greg for godhood!

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Well, I suppose that technically this does qualify as feedback, so the move is appropriate.

edit: Just spotted your post, Neo. He would have to provide me with several perverse partners and some very fast cars before I'd consider godhood.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    Yes, I noticed that. Probably a more appropriate place, although the GD forum is more heavily used and I wanted my post to be seen. I've noticed that the moderators are really good, often walking a tight line. It certainly does contribute to the success of the forum.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  10. Aug 10, 2009 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Being an x-Catholic, I feel obliged to convey the bad news for Greg: There is no sainthood for the living, so these calls for sainthood could be taken either way.

11. Aug 10, 2009 #10

Lisa!

Gold Member

hmm..has anything new happened here? We used to have 2 PF Gods !:uhh:

12. Aug 10, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

The godess Evo stands alone and unchallenged.
    And Ivan, I meant the sainthood thing as something to be done after his inevitable demise within the next few hundred years. We're all going sometime.

13. Aug 10, 2009 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Greg for sainthood? Godhood?

What has HE done lately?!

:) :)

Zz.

14. Aug 10, 2009 #13
    I have talked to the holly one, he asked me to bring this message to you, in the hopes that you can open your eyes and come closer to him.

The commandments;

Thou shalt not post crackpot theories.
    Thou shalt not double post.
    Thou shalt respect fellow Gregtians.
    Thou shalt help all those who are in need.
    Thou shalt to to church (PF) 5 times a day if possible, otherwise just once a week at least.
    Thou shalt respect the moderators decision.
    Thou shalt help moderators by flagging posts.
    Thou shalt not give into the temptations offered by ZapperZ, for he is to trick you out of a place in PF.
    Thou shalt not talk about the validity of any other religions in church (PF) other than Gregtianism.
    Thou shalt not try to construct the set of all sets that do not contain themselves.

15. Aug 10, 2009 #14

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I nominate god for Greghood.

16. Aug 10, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you had a talk with Santa, I think you meant the "holy" one. :biggrin:

17. Aug 10, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The result would be innumerable threads in Philosophy debating his existence.

...and, "Can Greg make a taco so hot that even he can't eat it?"; that sort of thing.

18. Aug 10, 2009 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Beautiful! I have broken only one of those commandments, but it was through omission. I have never resisted Zapper, simply for the reason that he has never attempted to subvert me. (Well, I quit reading the Disney thread about 5 years ago, if that counts...)

19. Aug 10, 2009 #18
    You will be forgiven as long as your heart is black and your mind is scientific. The Zapper works in mysterious ways, be wary of his trickery.

20. Aug 11, 2009 #19

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Anybody else notice the PhysOrg.com links in this thread tonight?
    :bugeye:

21. Aug 11, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

I somehow seem to have missed that... :confused:
    Can you provide links that actually work? :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook